First Oil Change After Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went though the engine on my '80 Suzuki GS1000, installed new rings, lapped the valves, new seals, etc, and was wondering what the general consensus is in terms of how long to run the initial oil fill before changing? Have Motorcraft 15W-40 diesel oil in the engine now with about 150 miles on it. Engine is running great. I was pretty anal during assembly to keep every thing clean but I'm working in a garage, not a clean room, so I'm sure some dust and what not got into the engine during assembly.

So what say ye? Change the oil now, go 500 miles which is when the first valve check will be performed), or run the oil for the normal OCI, which in my case will be about 1500 miles or so? I'm assuming there will be iron in the oil as a result of the rings wearing in so will the filter remove damaging particles like this? If so I assume there is no reason to change the oil right away. I'm leaning toward the 500 mile change but could easily be swayed by those more knowledgeable.

My opinion is something along the lines of

100, then 500, then normal OCI
or
200, then 1000, then normal OCI

That is popular with a lot of people. A very short run followed by a mid OCI run then the full OCI. Many will say you are wasting time and oil but all things considered it is not costing you much. On the other hand some people are more anal than the above.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Im a little different, I do 600mi on Dino and stay under 6,800RPM for break in. works for me

Too late for that! Last weekend I did some third gear roll-ons; pulled it up to near redline several times at full throttle. Old beasty pulls like a freight train.

My thinking is to use pressure to push those rings into the cylinder walls and bed them in. I'd been pretty tame with the bike up to that point, but making a point not to baby the engine.

I'm not so sure about this 100 and 500 mile oil change business. Only new wear item in the engine is the rings. I'm leaning toward waiting for 500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back