Anyone using EcoPower motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never have used it, I believe I have heard about it mentioned on this site before.

Thanks for the link.

recycling used motor oil, i will have to get my mind wrapped around that one. I would not discount it, but if it matches up to new oils, why not, maybe Mobil one chemist will take a look at it someday...............

I posted about this a few months ago because there was a coupon at autozone for it. It is a recycled oil but have not seen a VOA on it or anything. It appears to be a really good oil. It is much cheaper to produce. My problem with it is it costs something like 50% less or something like that but they dont pass the savings on to us. It is no cheaper than the regular oil. Im all for recycled oil, as it would be the same quality as new oil and passes all current specs, but until they pass the savings on to me, im not buying it. You could take the high road and buy it because it is better for the environment.

Safety-Kleen's been doing this for a long time now, even if this label is new marketing for them. In Canada it's apparently one of the cheapest oils you can get and carries that stigma.

Also they market it as a dino oil, or should say dont market it as a synthetic but if you click on why ecopower, it says it uses advanced synthetic technology. It makes it hard to really know what this oil really is. Judging it myself, it would say it is at least a very good grp2+ or a blend. It is on GM 6094M registered products list. It clearly states on the bottom of the facts page that it is not a synthetic. Looking at the MSDS may elude to what this oil make up is, but i dont know how to read it. It gives the makeup percentages in there. Maybe someone can make sense of it and post what it means.

Hey Guys,

I am running the 5w-30 EcoPower in my 07 Elantra right now. After about 2K miles it is still a very nice golden amber color. The Elantra seems to like it just fine as I can't tell a difference between the EcoPower and any other oil.

The dealer I go to for major maintenance uses it for all oil changes. I was due for an oil change, saw the huge EcoPower poster they had and thought "eh, what the heck? ".

I do have to say I think they are passing the savings on to the customer. $12.95 for an oil change at the dealer...

Originally Posted By: Huie83
Hey Guys,

I am running the 5w-30 EcoPower in my 07 Elantra right now. After about 2K miles it is still a very nice golden amber color. The Elantra seems to like it just fine as I can't tell a difference between the EcoPower and any other oil.

The dealer I go to for major maintenance uses it for all oil changes. I was due for an oil change, saw the huge EcoPower poster they had and thought "eh, what the heck? ".

I do have to say I think they are passing the savings on to the customer. $12.95 for an oil change at the dealer...

I agree, that is a great deal. I wonder why the qts at AZ are not cheaper?

That's a great question. Maybe because the dealer can get it in bulk, they don't have the packaging costs?

If you do the math it's just an OK deal. $12.95 - $4 (oil filter)= $8.95 / 4QT capacity = $2.23 a QT...

I guess OK for a recycled oil. You can pick up Valvoline or any other major brand for the same or cheaper on sale.

yea but your having the dealer do it for less or equal for what you would pay for materials at WM. I think that is a great deal. I think they are charging 30 dollars at WM to do an oil change.

Im not saying you cant do it yourself for cheaper. I have plenty of one dollar qts in my shed with 1.22 purilator filters. But to have an oil change done for you for 13 dollars is pretty good for any oil and any filter.

Last edited:
jstutz,

Very true, in comparison to other oil change places, that is very cheap.

Nice not to change the oil in a -10 degree garage too!! :)

I agree, unless it is at least 30% or 40% cheaper than regular oils, i wont be buying it.

My Hyundai dealership uses EcoPower. I have the maintenance plan and run the blended. No uoa but car runs great. 7k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back