What would make headlights low beams stop working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1994 Dodge Dakota, lost its low beams but high beam brights still work. Is this a relay problem or a fuse problem?

I don't have the truck to look at it, it is at college with my son, so I need to talk him through the fix.

It's not uncommon for both low beam bulbs to go at the same time.

But, obviously it's easiest and cheapest to go Fuse -> Bulbs -> Relay to troubleshoot.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
1994 Dodge Dakota, lost its low beams but high beam brights still work. Is this a relay problem or a fuse problem?

I don't have the truck to look at it, it is at college with my son, so I need to talk him through the fix.

Both headlamps at once?

It could be several things. Since I'm not familiar with that year Dakota, it might have separate high- and low-beam headlamp relays (actually, I'm 90% certain it DOES since I own several earlier mopars that work that way). Under the hood there should be a box with all the higher power relays in it- the underside of the relay box lid will usually have a diagram showing which relay is which. The relays just plug in, so its super easy to swap the low and high relays and see if the problem moves to the high beams. That will also let him safely drive the truck- driving with only high-beams is dangerous. Another possible suspect is the multi-function switch in the steering column, since it routes power either to the low beam relay or high beam relay after receiving power from the headlamp switch. Its harder to replace that one (and more expensive).

It could also be that both low beam filaments burned out- but them doing so at the same time would make me think there's another underlying problem like a voltage spike, excessively high voltage, or a fluctuating voltage.

Don't rule out the dimmer switch.

My Dad's Concord (AMC) lost the low beams, but the highs worked. He was convinced it was the headlight switch so out comes the dash and we replaced it, still no lows. He was going to break down and take it to the dealer.

I started tracing the wiring diagram and saw that everything regarding the headlights seemed to meet at the dimmer switch (floor-mounted), so we replaced that. Bingo.

Don't forget about checking the ground wires.

Bad grounds can cause all kinds of problems. I'd also suspect that on a 16 year old vehicle.

Could he have been driving it around with one out not realizing it until the second one took a dump?

I hate to "me too" but I lost both low beams at once. Only odd thing was I scraped/banged ice and snow off the lights before trying to turn them on and head out.

I lost both high beams in an 86 Honda Prelude. I was driving rather fast on a gravel road that ran parallel to a river, and when I pulled the lever for some more illumination, things went completely dark. Had to change my shorts after that one.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I hate to "me too" but I lost both low beams at once. Only odd thing was I scraped/banged ice and snow off the lights before trying to turn them on and head out.

I too have lost both low beams at about the same time. It's not all that unusual.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Could he have been driving it around with one out not realizing it until the second one took a dump?

With my son, entirely possible. maybe even probable. Sharp young man whom I am proud of, but practical mechanical related issues aren't his strong suite.

I had this same problem on my dakota, and it turned out to be the wiring harness in the steering column. For some reason my dad likes to flip the wheel up every time he gets out of a vehicle (i'm a set it and leave it there person) and this stressed the wires in the harness to the point one of them popped out. The lights would work if i pulled the wheel all the way down but would go out as soon as i pushed it back up. When i got in there to fix the problem i couldn't believe how tight those wires were, they needed to be longer to allow travel with the wheel tilt. I ended up taking a smaller piece of wire and crimping / heatshrinking it to the headlight wire so that it was longer and could travel without pulling out of the harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back