My Elantra using ATF+4??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Is ATF+4 actually a better ATF than SPIII? The service manager
at my Hyundai dealer uses Castrol ATF+4 and he tells me this
fluid actually exceeds the specs of the SPIII.
Many folks on several Elantra enthusiasts website are claiming to
NEVER EVER use anything but SPII for Elantras. They claim other
fluids WILL destroy the transmission and VOID my warranty!

Both Vavoline, Quaker State and Castrol's website clearly
states that their ATF+4 is compatible with SPIII.

Why are these people making this claim??

not only what you said but: on autozones sight if you set your car to hyundai elantra and type atf in the search it only brings up atf+4! mike

I'm pretty sure that you could put any dexIII, Atf+3, atf+4, or universal fluid in there and never have a problem. Although it may call for a certain fluid, think about the number of shops there are that are open for business. And now try to imagine the number of shops that have M/DIII ATF fluid that they use in whatever car rolls through the door. And the majority of the cars are still driving around. So who knows. Someone needs to have actual proof that a fluid killed a transmission before I'm totally sure how important it is.

Now, on the other hand, if it was my car , I pretty much use what is called for transmission fluid, however I've used the Mutli-vehicle fluids also with no problem.

As far as ATF+4, it supeceeds atf+3 in chrysler vehicles, and as far as I know that Mitsu/Hyundai SPIII is the same fluid as atf+3 so in that case I think it is safe to say that +4 is fine if not better for your hyundai.

Transmissions don't seem to be as bullet-proof as we'd like, so it pays to do your homework if you depart from the factory recommendation.

I still don't know if my use of a cheap "universal" transmission fluid led to a rebuild of my Dodge P/U's tranny, but I use Red Line C+ ATF since the rebuild.

Thanks guys!

The gross, immature exaggerations on some of these Elantra
enthusiasts website about the dire, doom and gloom results
if you use a NON SPIII ATF in your Elantras is just downright
comical!
One guy stated that he knew one guy whose transmission was
destroyed after drive 72 miles with a NON SPIII fluid.

I think that tells you all you need to know about the honesty
of these folks.

Originally Posted By: flinter
Thanks guys!

comical!

of these folks.

It might not be an honesty issue, but rather just someone with some misguided information. The same thing happens on this board quite a bit, but mostly it gets corrected post haste :)

Thanks guys!

comical!

of these folks.

hyundai's sp III falls into the category of what they call "highly friction modified fluid". atf+4 falls into that category as well as castrol import and many others! mike

Thanks guys!

comical!

of these folks.

This has been my experience on those forums. WIW, my father's 2003 Elantra has ~20K on Amsoil ATF with no problems.

I really didn't like the tone of that thread...

These guys seems to be arguing about this like religious beliefs.

Can't say for sure the trans will grenade itself using ATF+4, but I wouldn't use anything but their official "juice" while under warranty. Why let them the chance to stick you with a heavy bill, even if it isn't fluid related!

After that, as long as the fluid you choose states compatibility on the bottle, and its manufacturer is willing to steps in when troubles happens, I think it should be fine.

Well I would use different Juice under warranty because they will never know unless you are the blaby type that can not keep their mouth shut!

I would how ever use a product specific to +4 fluid. Redline makes a C+ product that exceeds all the + recommendations from +2 to +4 for Chrysler applications. I used it in my 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with 45RFE transmission. Not only did Redlines product shifter better cold and hot but it also did wonders for all the leaky seals. When my truck was in for warranty work my Service Writer kept asking me what I used in my transmission because my Dakota was the only one he had ever seen that did not weep or leak at the rear transmission seal. They had some new from the factory that would weep and all the ones being driven by owners all weeped. I told him I did not know what he was talking about I bought my filter both of them and my fluid from the parts department. I am sure he knew I was lieing since we played poker together and he knew my poker face well!LOL This when he told me all the mechanic their used Maxlife in their vehicles even though at the time Maxlife did not list ATF+4 compatibility. Knowing all the problems Chrysler has had with transmissions I chose the only aftermarket product that was actualy designed to replace it specificly. I prefer to use specific products when I can.

I have a UOA of the Redline C+ on this site. I was the first to run it and do a UOA on it. I was also the one that mentioned Maxlife as a less then ideal sub since my Service Writer told me about it at a 5 Star Chrysler Dealership. THis was years ahead of Maxlife listing ATF+4 on the side of the Bottle!

One last choice is Walmarts ATF+4 it is $3.77 a quart and use's the same additive package that OEM fluid does. THe only way to get the ATF+4 liscense rights is to buy the +4 additive package from the only source approved by Chrysler to make it which I believe is Eqillon(sp)I think???

SpIII is fairly cheap, I'd use it in warranty if your transmission self destructs. They send out a fluid sample

Hi,
Is ATF+4 actually a better ATF than SPIII? The service manager
at my Hyundai dealer uses Castrol ATF+4 and he tells me this
fluid actually exceeds the specs of the SPIII.
Many folks on several Elantra enthusiasts website are claiming to
NEVER EVER use anything but SPII for Elantras. They claim other
fluids WILL destroy the transmission and VOID my warranty!

They say that because it is the official position of Hyundai and Kia.

There are a number of Hyundai, Mitsubishi, and Chrysler models that use the same transmissions.

When I was going to flush and refill my own Hyundai transmission I found that the transmission was shared with several Chrysler products.

So I used Red Line C+ ATF.

Red Line suggests their D4 ATF for SP-II and SP-II applications.

The reason I went with the C+ ATF is that Red Line reports a higher viscosity index and slightly better Brookfield Viscosity at -40°C, and I drive this in some sub-zero parts of the country each winter.

Of course if the transmission fails and Hyundai balks I guess I am on the hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back