Mobil 1 "EP" 5w30 vs Castrol "Edge" 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just completed a 1 (one) year, head to head test between these two oils.
BlackStone Labs did all the testing,, I just changed oil and filter in a time frame dictated by the Lab.
Test vehicle is my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT w/5.0 v8, 4spd auto., tow package with the 3.73 dif. At test end has 236,000 miles. I drive the car 200 miles+ Monday-Friday for my courier business, and 6 times a year tow a double axle car hauler with my '72 Spitfire roadracer 200 miles for race weekends. I did two cycles with the "M1EP" and two with the "Edge". Blackstone determined that the TBN (additive package) was just about gone at 12k miles with both Brands,, and that they both performed virtually identicly during its life. Blackstons techs. seemed impressed that an engine with all these miles showed so little wear.. (good job Ford) I have all the stats on one sheet courtesy of Blackstone,, and look for bargains on both brands continually. M1 is generally cheaper at WallmartTX and Castrol will run promos from time to time.

Needless to say, Blackstone is about to help me with my next test. Valvoline NSL VR1 dino.10w30 @ 4.99qt.vs the full systhetic @ $7.49qt. for 1 week-end/500 miles
34.gif

Bill Collins
Euless, TX

So, at 200 miles per time unit we have 12k at ~12 units. So, is it 12 weeks? What is the average stop-run-stop cycle on the delivery route? And how the 6 times per year towing is distributed temporally? And how you guys came to the point when it is about to run out of additives without overshooting? By intuition? Any data to support the declarations?

"You Guys" Whats that? I'm a consumer, looking for an answer to the hype. Not affiliated with anything but my wallet,,dude. Take a breath.

So, again. How did you decide to stop when the additives are about to be done with? Did you guys take samples over periods of time? I was just curious about metrology and protocol. You mentioned Blackstone 'dictated' the 'time frame'. There is no benefit in being rude,

Last edited:
One year/ 12,000 miles seems like very good performance for both of these oils. 1200 miles of towing and 40 mile per day courier service seem like severe(or close to it) service.

Is your day to day usage stop and go without reaching operating temperature all the time?

How much make up oil for the intervals?

Thanks for posting this. I actually have both of these oils on hand. I may shoot for my first 1 year cycle after reading this.

I think he meant 200 miles per day, but it was no clear. This would give us 1k per week. 12k in 12 weeks -- four changes in a year, with some variance of course. He mentioned 6 towing instances for the year, that is 6 times in 4 oil changes which may or may not be a factor of significance. Without them reports we can only speculate..

Originally Posted By: Y_K
I think he meant 200 miles per day, but it was no clear. This would give us 1k per week. 12k in 12 weeks

Oh...my mistake. Thanks.

In my humble opinion I so far have not seen the Edge product with issues, Mobil that is another story. Since both proved worthy, stick with your gut feeling. I have had no problems with Castrol ever. I now use Castrol in 3 cars, ranging from a blend in Protege, Edge in a Mazda 6 and Syntex in a Civic 09.The way they sell the product makes no difference to me bovine poop is all over these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back