Racing Oils in Daily Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search didn't come up with much even using the Google method so let's have at it! What do you guys think of using racing oils in daily drivers?

From Mobil 1

You say the new Mobil 1 Racing oils are not for street use. Why is that? Does that mean I can't use these oils if my race car is also my daily driver?

Automotive street use oils that meet the latest industry standards are required to have a lower level of Zinc and Phosphorus anti-wear chemistries than oils formulated years ago. The latest automotive street use engine oils are designed to be compatible with emission control equipment. Mobil 1 Racing oils are formulated with anti-wear (Zinc/Phosphorus) chemistries at twice the level of automotive street oils to provide enhanced protection of highly loaded valve train systems found in some race engines. Based on the high level of anti-wear chemistries, Mobil 1 Racing oils are not recommended for street use.

If you're not concerned about cat' life then the only issue really is adequate TBN levels. Some race oils are intended for street use such as the Motul 300V series and RP's XPR series.
RL race oils only have a TBN of about 2 so they are not suitable for the street.

So if I used valvoline or mobil race oil. It will give me increased wear protection and shorter oil change intervals of course but will kill my cats?

Good question I sometimes track my car and wonder if I should use race oil and just swap it out when I get home but seems like a waste

Quote:

If you're not concerned about cat' life then the only issue really is adequate TBN levels.

I don't believe this is true; one must consider detergents.

From the Redline site.

Quote:

Racing oils provide more wear protection than motor oils for passenger vehicles, however, these products contain fewer detergents and are not suitable for street use

I really depends on the oil you choose, but Redline racing oils ARE NOT their street oils with just higher AW.

I cannot find the picture post of the guy who ran redline racing oil for intervals of 3-5K, not pretty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back