What is best for leather these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: shokhead
Will Vinylex spray work on the tires as good as anything else?

You have leather tires?

Originally Posted By: shokhead
Will Vinylex spray work on the tires as good as anything else?

Sure, Vinylex will work fine on tires, rubber, plastic, or vinyl. Matter of fact, I bought some yesterday on closeout at Advance Auto Parts.

Vinlyex leaves a higher gloss than 303 but not as shiny as the baby oil type of tire shines.

The Zaino Twins, Leatherique, Lexol, and Leather Masters are all good choices for someone trying to maintain their leather surfaces.

After trying all these products I would have to side with the Zaino Twins, unless of course your leather is severely neglected. It that is the case then you should get the Leatherique Twins.

You really can't go wrong with any of these products, their all different, but do deliver the performance they advertise.

Dri wash n' Guard's Leather Vinyl Treatment. It has a pleasant fragrance, it does clean and condition quite nicely and it does leave the shiny after effect.

Regarding the dri wash n' Guard leather stuff, what I meant to say was that is does NOT leave the shiny residue effect. I do not believe it has silicone in it either.

Anyone ever hear of this stuff called Mr Leather? I saw it at the grocery store yesterday. It has a really good leathery smell,and not overpowering like some.

Anyone ever try this stuff?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Anyone ever hear of this stuff called Mr Leather? I saw it at the grocery store yesterday. It has a really good leathery smell,and not overpowering like some.

Anyone ever try this stuff?

Good stuff, made by northern labs. Try it on leather gloves, or alternate it with the Zymol leather cream from Target.

http://www.mr-leather.com/

Leather Master user here. It outperformed Pinnacle's leather conditioner on both coated and uncoated leather. Tried it on my wifes leather jacket and she noticed a difference right away. Not stiff at all and now she can move more freely with it on (military issued heavy jacket).

I just picked up some AAP leather wipes (and protectant since B1G1F). I made sure to smell them first and they smelled just like the Meguiar ones from WalMart. I considered the Armor All ones, but they smell really bad.

They smell so good and cleaned up my steering wheel really well (woman previous owner) and made the unworn leather (passenger seat and back seas and headrests) really soft and good feeling, but they couldn't bring back the worn out driver's seat....didn't really expect them to though. This was probably the first cleaning/conditioning they've ever had. A few months ago before winter I actually put armor all on all the leather (since its what I had) and one cold night when putting my knee on the seat to reach across the seam snapped. Not sure if it was the tire dressings fault or the cold or both.

Seriously though those wipes smell better than my air freshener and the only recent smell that outdoes the wipes is my Aqua Di Gio. Im sure a pretty lady would smell alot better but I havent had one around lately.

I use ArmorAll leather care gel. Clean and protects and it lasts a long time. I've tried lexol but I found after a day or two its completely gone, like I've never used it...
27.gif

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
I use ArmorAll leather care gel. Clean and protects and it lasts a long time. I've tried lexol but I found after a day or two its completely gone, like I've never used it...
27.gif

I`ve been using the Armor All Leather Care in the spray bottle for years. I`ve tried a bunch of different brands,some cheap and some expensive. The Armor All stuff wins hands down! You should see my car`s interior. It`s still showroom fresh and my car`s 14 years old. Still soft,rich in color,and no tears,wrinkles,or rips. I also use it on the dash,door panels,and the entire car`s interior.

The leather in a car has been infused/top coated with vinyl like substance. This stuff fills the pores in the leather making it smooth and non-porous. The truth about leather car is that most of it is non-sense except for things you don't want to use on car leather.

If you use real leather care products on vinyl coated leather (as found in a car) it will create a mess since there is no place for the oil to go! The leather is saturated with top coating.

Very interesting thread . . .

No wonder the Lexol I've applied has mostly come off on the buffing rag as a yellow stain. Geesh. Had no idea my Volvo seats were covered in vinyl coated leather. Also explains why Hide-Food didn't work as I thought it should.

Found the explaination on 303's site very interesing as well. I've used the stuff for years . . except on my seats.

For the interior vinyl dash, door panels, and exterior black trim, I've used Meguiar's #57 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner. It worked great on my boats. Smells sort-of-like-leather too. Not sure if it has any silicone in it or not. I may start using it on the 'leather' seats as well.

I've also used Lexol's Vinylx with good results . . except on the seats. Their website does say it contains silicone though. . .

No more greasy Lexol on my vinyl leather seats though . . . only on my leather Timberlands.

Thanks for the info.

I really like surf city vodoo leather care, but can't take the fumes. The leather likes it tho... No silicone please, not on my leather...

Originally Posted By: wytstang
Leather Master user here. It outperformed Pinnacle's leather conditioner on both coated and uncoated leather. Tried it on my wife's leather jacket and she noticed a difference right away. Not stiff at all and now she can move more freely with it on (military issued heavy jacket).

I like Leather Master as well. The BMW Leather Care is also decent. You can find both for under $25.

Don't remember what it's called, but whenever I end up near the Amish in Pa, I stock up on the leather treatment they sell at the Amish horse shops. Nothing better (or cheaper). Just ignore the signs that say no tourists allowed.

Someone reccomended Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner and I tried it.
Good stuff! It doesn't leave your seats oily like some of the other products out there. Give it a try. Only $6 at WM
thumbsup2.gif

I'll give this one a bump.

I just gave the Zaino twins, Z9 and Z10, a try after the early recommendations in this thread. Big thumbs up. I am incredibly happy with the results.

I was a Lexol user. I always hated the smell, but had no other real complaints.

I was a bit put off by the initial Zaino smell. After all the raving about the smell, I thought it smelled like a harsh chemical solvent at first. After a week, it has mellowed to a nice mild smell that is easily adjusted to. I don't know that it smells like new leather, but it smells alright.

I sent an e-mail to Leatherique company and got this response back:

All colored leather is surface coated. Since 1990 it has been a water based coating. The finish is water resistant, NOT WATER PROOF!!!! The Rejuvenator will easily penetrate the finish as will rain water, coffee, or anything else you spill on the surface and leave. The Rejuvenator is a natural water based protein collagen complex that will keep the actual hide, the backbone of the leather luxuriously supple and healthy. If you don’t do anything to keep the hide nourished, it will become dry, and the spongy fibers will pull apart creating cracks.

The people online who are spreading the rumor that leather is water proof are complete liars for spreading such stupid and misleading information. If this were the case, the car companies would use vinyl instead of leather. leather is a natural product that breathes and adjusts to body temperature, and feels soft and supple. If the consumer wants something water proof, maybe molded plastic seats would be better in cars? People want the luxury of leather, because it is a once living, breathing, fibrous structure, that does require some care and nourishment to stay healthy.

Since you own a convertible, would you leave the roof down and allow your interior to be rained on? Of course not, as the leather would absorb the rain, become drenched and shrivel from the heavy impact of too much water.

In the olden days that was how they created armor and shields, by drenching leather in water, letting it dry, so it was stiff.

Leatherique's response is pretty blunt. Not like them, in my experience.

What did the email sent to them say? Their comments seem out of context a bit.

I like Leatherique products but these comments show their bias and opinions more than they show hard facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back