Which octane boost is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that stuff makes Premium 93 look like a bargain.
wink.gif

If I start using toluence boost then how many of gallon I need to add if I'm going to pour 87 or 91? My tank take about 15.6 gallon.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: Rohan
Where can I find Toluene octane bosst at?

Home Depot or most hardware stores sell it. It use to be outlawed because dummies would huff it in a bag and melt their brains. Its also one of the ingredients in trinitrotoluene.

in what size jugs,whats it look like???

i have a high performance snowmobile I'd like to boost oct when doing speed runs.

is this the stuff?

17084.13-274_4.jpg

Originally Posted By: ted s
unless your car needs over 93 whatss the point?

Well with todays [censored] gas you don't know what you could be getting at the pump at any given day,one could need premium and could easily be getting only 89,so unless one carries a octane tester in there back pocket to test every fuel stop's octane who knows what your getting,knowing what a good additive is and how well it works is great info IMO.

my self i run high performance snowmobiles that need good fuel or risk a pricey burn down from detonation, so adding a few Oz's of oct boost that i know works eases my thoughts at night.

Its all state regulated re;random pump inspections. So if a station gets caught doing any of the stuff you mentioned,their in big trouble. And they double check the weights/measures etc.BTW Hello Dman!!
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Hey lexus...
cheers3.gif

no i was talking about the quality of gas,never know what condition these under ground takes are in,easily to get water and other contaminates in it.

i see it allot in the winter when i buy gas for the sleds i filter all of it,lots of ice and other stuff i see.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: ted s
unless your car needs over 93 whatss the point?

My car NEEDS 91 and over, and I am trying to find which is the more economical method.

Filling 91 at gas station or Adding Toluene to the 87 gas.

Pl.advise.

There is octane booster that actually does work. Torco Accelerator. They call it a race fuel concentrate.

Forget the brand...but there IS one on the shelf of C-t that promises to raise the octane 60 points....so 6 full numbers.

It's like $15 a pint, but for one tank of 91/93, it might be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Toluene is what is in many of the over-the-counter octane boosters. You can also buy it at hardware stores for cheaper as straight toluene.

I have bought 100LL avgas for my (ahemmm..., uhhhh) *boat*
wink.gif
at the airport. Kind of a hassle, but it gives slight lead for older engines and does help with octane boost. 5 gal with the rest unleaded premium. Need to go there with my 5 gal gas cans to fill up. They do not like to fill cans. Go at night after they close if there is self serve and you can do it easier.

Best is to just get some 110 octane race gas, but it can be a bit expensive around $10-12/gal now. It is high lead content and is the best solution to me. I only mix a couple gallons per tank of the 110 octane high lead race gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rob6773
There is octane booster that actually does work. Torco Accelerator. They call it a race fuel concentrate.

I think that's the only one that raises it by full numbers instead of 1/10ths of numbers.

Originally Posted By: 38Chevy454
Toluene is what is in many of the over-the-counter octane boosters. You can also buy it at hardware stores for cheaper as straight toluene.

I have bought 100LL avgas for my (ahemmm..., uhhhh) *boat*
wink.gif
at the airport. Kind of a hassle, but it gives slight lead for older engines and does help with octane boost. 5 gal with the rest unleaded premium. Need to go there with my 5 gal gas cans to fill up. They do not like to fill cans. Go at night after they close if there is self serve and you can do it easier.

Best is to just get some 110 octane race gas, but it can be a bit expensive around $10-12/gal now. It is high lead content and is the best solution to me. I only mix a couple gallons per tank of the 110 octane high lead race gas.

One can also buy up to 108 octane unleaded to mix in with pump gas if the heavy metal is not needed (modern engine with high flow, metal matrix catcons).

+1 on what Trajan and Rob said, Torco accelerator boosts full octane numbers. Per their website, adding 16oz of Accelerator to 10 gallons of 91 octane; yields 95 octane. 32oz to 10 gallons equals a 102 octane, etc.

It's about $20/quart bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back