Oil Reccomedations for New Chevy Traverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and myself just purchased a 2010 Chevy Traverse with a direct injected 3.6 L engine and would appreciate some oil reccomedations for this vehicle. Specs 5w30. Thanks.

5W-30.
lol.gif

It's obviously still under warranty, so stick to what the manual recommends in regards to oil weight and OCI.

Pretty much any brand-name conventional oil will be more than adequate with the manual-specified OCIs.

+1 5w-30 Grp II or III

Watch out for carbon build-up on valves with the direct-injection as no fuel flows over the intake valves on the induction system. VW & others have had trouble with carbon build-up on their systems.

Last edited:
Stay with the 5W-30.

Your oil will need to meet and or exceed the GM6094M oil standard and carry the API Starburst seal.

Run any conventional oil you wish up to 5K. If you run synthetic you can start with 5K+ or run it until the OLM trips. I personally would not take a conventional to the OLM max which I have seen reach upward of 10K and even beyond in some GM's. 7K is the absolute max I would run any conventional oil and it would have to be a top notch one. No cheapo store brands or ST. 5K would make me feel better with a conventional oil.

The cost of synthetics at Wal-Mart in bulk is so close to the name brand conventionals IMO it is a no brainer to go with the added benefits of synthetic. Also, if you have a PepBoys near you Kendall GT1 full synthetic is just $4.99 p/qt and is a great oil.

Some brand suggestions( my opinion on good choices )that are offered in your weight and meet your specific warranty requirements...

Conventional:
Kendall GT1
Penzoil
Valvoline
Quaker State

Synthetic:
Kendall GT1
Penzoil Platinum
Valvoline Synpower
Amsoil XL( their others do not meet warranty requirements but this is excellent oil! )

Last edited:
I guess you're asking for oil that's less volatile than most so blow-by gasses will be cleaner. I heard Valvoline Durablend is a good one. You can also check Amsoil comparison testing. Find the most current comparison for 5w-30.

As far as I know, GM hasn't had nearly the problems VW has had in the Cadillacs that had this design. If you used a synthetic that met the GM4718M spec, you would probably minimize any deposits.

Originally Posted By: ernied
don't you think the people who make it know what they are doing?

Did they know what they were doing when they made awesome intake manifold gaskets and clunky steering shafts?

Just saying....

I'm a QS guy and would run Q-Horsepower or Ultimate Durability (such a silly name...) to the OLM and never look back.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Stay with the 5W-30.

Your oil will need to meet and or exceed the GM6094M oil standard and carry the API Starburst seal.

Run any conventional oil you wish up to 5K. If you run synthetic you can start with 5K+ or run it until the OLM trips. I personally would not take a conventional to the OLM max which I have seen reach upward of 10K and even beyond in some GM's. 7K is the absolute max I would run any conventional oil and it would have to be a top notch one. No cheapo store brands or ST. 5K would make me feel better with a conventional oil.

The cost of synthetics at Wal-Mart in bulk is so close to the name brand conventionals IMO it is a no brainer to go with the added benefits of synthetic. Also, if you have a PepBoys near you Kendall GT1 full synthetic is just $4.99 p/qt and is a great oil.

Some brand suggestions( my opinion on good choices )that are offered in your weight and meet your specific warranty requirements...

Conventional:
Kendall GT1
Penzoil
Valvoline
Quaker State

Synthetic:
Kendall GT1
Penzoil Platinum
Valvoline Synpower
Amsoil XL( their others do not meet warranty requirements but this is excellent oil! )

Interesting how you rated the oil`s.

Doesn't this Traverse engine have the oil life monitor? Is it programmed for dino or synthetic? I believe these GM 3.6 DI engines are programmed for both, depending on which car they are installed in. I see no problem with using the oil specified in your Traverse's manual, and following the olm if your vehicle has one.

I have an 09 3.6L DI and there are a lot of posts here and on the Encalve, Traverse, and Acadia websites. As some have mentioned, you need an oil with as low of a NOACK rating as you can find. The 3.6L DI beats up both dino and synthetic oils. I am one who feels following the OLM in a Enclave, Traverse, Acadia, or Outlook will result in trouble long before one would expect. You can search the UOAs to see how this engine beats up oil – not so much so in the Cadillac sedans but certainly in the Lambda platforms.

Thus, use a synthetic with as low of a NOACK rating as you can find (some have been mentioned in this thread already), change at 5-6k (assuming synthetic) and ignore the OLM. To best determine how long you can go considering your driving habits and etc. a UOA is recommended. If you plan to have the vehicle no longer than the warranty period then screw it, use what the book recommends and change according to OLM.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Stay with the 5W-30.

Conventional:
Kendall GT1
Penzoil
Valvoline
Quaker State

Synthetic:
Kendall GT1
Penzoil Platinum
Valvoline Synpower

No rating just a list of oils I would select from. I didn't say it was in any specific order. Just how I thought of them as I was typing.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Stay with the 5W-30.

Conventional:
Kendall GT1
Penzoil
Valvoline
Quaker State

Synthetic:
Kendall GT1
Penzoil Platinum
Valvoline Synpower

No rating just a list of oils I would select from. I didn't say it was in any specific order. Just how I thought of them as I was typing.
21.gif

Got ya.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for all the advice. I am planning on using a syn 5w30 with a low NOACK reading and meeting GM spec GM6094M. How does M1 and PP stack up? Also would you stick with the stock AC oil filter or upgrade?

PP 5W30 has a NOACK of 12.5% and that is a bit high for this engine. PP 10W30 has a NOACK of 9.7%. Too bad the 5W30 is not 9.7%. Can not find the NOACK ratings for Mobil 1 products except for M1 EP 10W30 which has a NOACK % under 10.

I am currenlty using the AC Delco UPF48 (not PF48). If the UPF versions of AC Delco filters are good enough to used as OEM on Corvettes then they are good enough for a 3.6L DI. I would not hesitate using Napa Gold, Wix, Pure One, Royal Purple, or M1 but for now I will use my stash of UPF48s.

I own a 2009 Traverse LTZ with the DI engine. I have tried Pennzoil yellow bottle, Pennzoil Platinum, and Valvoline Synpower all in 5w30 flavors. The engine in my Traverse prefers the Synpower 5w30. Believe it or not, the PP produced the most engine noise. With the Synpower it runs butter smooth. And the Synpower has a lower NOAK than the PP, I believe its 10.5%. I just bought a 5qt jug from wally world yesterday for $20.50. Good luck on your new Traverse. Its a great vehicle.

What addguy said. If you follow the OLM run an inexpensive syn like PP, synpower, etc. I don't trust conventional in that engine for the OLM calculated oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back