1950 Dodge D35, Flathead 6, Which oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm asking this question on behalf of my friend. We're almost ready to fire up his 1950 Dodge D35 motor in his 1950 Dodge Wayfarer. It was bored .40 over and built with a 3/4 race cam. Decked, Milled, ported and polished head. Will start out with 1 carburetor, but might eventually get a dual carb intake manifold.

An estimate of horsepower might be around 125-150, but we haven't been able to dyno it yet. I believe it has the 218ci motor, but might have the 235ci.

What would be the best oil to run in this motor?

My dad had a 1950 6 cyl, Flathead dodge pickup, we used old western auto store oil, We ran 30 weight oil then, not fancy, kept the truck 20 years, and no failures, go figure, so I guess 10w30 dino oil to start and see what happens, probably nothing, should work well

i have one of those flathead chrysler engines on a pump, and its had 15w-40 plus 50 deere in it for at least the last 15 years, prior to that i run 30wt deere diesel oil, basically whatever i was putting in the diesel engines at the time is what the flatheads got(i've got 2 ford flatheads also)
any hdeo will work just fine

Obviously, you have put much time and care into this engine. I would not cheap out on the oil. I would use one of the Mobil 1 Diesel engine formulas, or, my personal choice, Mobil 1 High Mileage oil in the 10W30 or 10W40 formulation. I might consider breaking it in on one of the 15W40 dino oils for a thousand miles, or maybe a little more, and then install the synthetic.

I'd like to see pics as well - sounds like a cool truck!

I'd want lots of additives in the oil I put in that. Assuming only summer use, HDEO 15W-40 should work well.

You guys want some pics? Have pics galore:

http://wrenchheads.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12

(Sorry about the shameless plug for my website. Its the only hot rodish forum thread he's on that doesn't require you to get registered, verified, and log in before you peek)

Its not a truck, its a 2 door car. He doesn't want to run synthetic in it. Just a regular oil with normal or possibly early changes. It does have a canister filter.

steve20: We're hardly north. We're getting the olympics in February and we had some 15 degree days last week. Thats almost 60 degrees for you.

A HDEO looks like the way to go. It would be only driven in the good weather months, but would probably be started a couple times during the winter (which isn't usually freezing anyway, stupid sea level)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechjames
I'm asking this question on behalf of my friend. We're almost ready to fire up his 1950 Dodge D35 motor in his 1950 Dodge Wayfarer. It was bored .40 over and built with a 3/4 race cam. Decked, Milled, ported and polished head. Will start out with 1 carburetor, but might eventually get a dual carb intake manifold.

An estimate of horsepower might be around 125-150, but we haven't been able to dyno it yet. I believe it has the 218ci motor, but might have the 235ci.

What would be the best oil to run in this motor?

You're making me wish I had the resources to restore my '49 Plymouth (217 CI flathead). Best I can do for it at the moment is to keep it in enclosed dry storage... but SOME day... :)

At any rate.... if it were mine I'd plan on running something like Rotella T (conventional 15w40 or preferably synthetic 5w40) after break-in. Back when I had my '49 on the road in the 80s, I just ran garden-variety 10w30 and it liked it fine- never saw oil pressure drop below 20 PSI, never saw it over 40. Those old flatheads have a really simple oiling system, and are really easy on the oil temperature-wise. Typically Mopar flatheads didn't ustilize a full-flow oil filter, instead they sent only a portion of the oil flow through a canister filter, and counting on the "embedability" of the thick babbit layer used on bearings back in those days to deal with the occasional bigger bit of grit. Another good reason for sticking with a synthetic HDEO in my opinion.

And of course its got a flat-tappet cam (although the spring pressures are pretty mild) but that's another reason to stick with an HD engine oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Man, let us know when he gets that jewel finished. That will be a sweet ride.

Johnny, we're hoping for some point late this spring or summer. We're going to rebuild the old carb this weekend, and hopefully get the motor in the car next weekend. Under the hood clean up is pretty much complete now, minus engine of course.

I'll try to get some more recent pics up on the link above, possibly before we put the motor in, and then after.

Last edited:
Never heard a straight six with a high lift cam,bet that sounds pretty cool.You should look int split headers for it too!

Put some additional break in additives with your first oil fill.
Then a diesel oil will be best because it has more additives than regular gas engine oil nowadays. The cam is my concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back