Bubbles on Tranny Dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I Drove 50 miles today on the interstate in My 2002 dodge Intrepid. When I got home I left the car running and checked the tranny fluid level. When I removed the dipstick it had maybe 25 tiny air bubbles all over the dipstick. Even after reinsertion they were still there. Does that matter or is this normal?

Alot of manuals tell you not to check trans fluid after highway driving. Check it after some city driving and enough time to get up to normal operating temp.

Bubbles are normal after highway driving from what I see.

It was serviced about a year ago. Wouldn't shift into 2nd gear; cost me over a grand to get it fixed. Fluid level read at correct level.

Lol just saw mileage in ur sig, it was serviced a year ago how many miles have u put on it since then
What's the service interval?

From what I understand bubbles or foam is a sign it needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
No, bubbles are overrated hearsay meant to scare you. Don't fall for the 'bubbles' brainwashing.

Bubbles are normal.

But, ATF maintenance is important. How many miles on the current fluid? what fluid? what maintenance interval?

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Lol just saw mileage in ur sig, it was serviced a year ago how many miles have u put on it since then

The fluid is ATF +4 and has around 20,000 miles on it. Thought about dropping the pan and changing it by it is still really clean on the dipstick. I try not to go over 30K in the Dodge with the fluid. No drain plug so I have to drop the pan. The Nissan has a drain plug and holds 6 quarts. I can get 4.5 qts out using the drain plug and do this every 15K.

Originally Posted By: rewote500
Originally Posted By: finalyzd

The fluid is ATF +4 and has around 20,000 miles on it. Thought about dropping the pan and changing it by it is still really clean on the dipstick. I try not to go over 30K in the Dodge with the fluid. No drain plug so I have to drop the pan. The Nissan has a drain plug and holds 6 quarts. I can get 4.5 qts out using the drain plug and do this every 15K.

Your Intrepid has a rubber transmission cooling line behind the driver side headlight. You can get do a line flush from that point.

Aerated fluid can really confound the adaptives in a modern trans.

NOT normal. Probably overfilled, but may have a leak on the suction side of the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back