ATF fluid for 2-strokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of using ATF fluid in the transmission of a 2-stroke engine?

Last edited:
So it's a motorcycle/atv with a 2 stroke engine and a tranny that obviously has it's own sump. I'd be worried if it has a wet clutch, which most do, that the friction modification that gives good shifts in an automatic transmission won't play well with your friction material.

But, I have no experience doing this. Hopefully someone else will.

Right...most bikes have wet-clutches and that is a good point ...ATF fluid seems very thin also and I was reading where it has VIIs to pump its wt up when heated so shear might lower the wt to an even lower level.

I don't think I would do it. I would use whatever type product the manufacture recommended. You choose the brand, let the manufacture choose the type.

This is pretty much what I do...They pick the wts and I chose the oil types in that weight...I'm reading things like this on other sites and I'm just not sure how good an idea it is where guys are trying to drive down the cost of oiling their bikes. I can see this by playing with GRP III, IV, and V oils and some of your own blends but going this far off path and I gotta ask some questions on the subject to a crowd that should have some real educated answers...

I've used it before with no problems on my 2 stroke dirt bikes. However, I read that it needs to be changed after 1 or 2 rides. That said, I use rotella 15w-40 now and I prefer the way the bike shifts with the hdeo oil in it better than the atf fluid. I still change it every 3 or 4 rides because it is cheap oil.

I seldom recommend specialty oil. However, in this case, I'll make an exception. I usually run Bel Ray Gear Saver in my vintage '70s Yamahas. Primarily for the added protection. It costs a bit more but I don't change it all that often so, the cost aspect is insignificant. The manufacturer recommends 30 weight engine oil. I also have an old Suzuki dirt race bike that I've been running 30 weight oil in for thirty years and never had a problem with that either. Sooooo, I'd stick to proper oils for the purpose or something designed for transmission gears.

Originally Posted By: ray_ray
Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of using ATF fluid in the transmission of a 2-stroke engine?

Don't do it !!

Way too thin for motorcycle transmission gears. Use a 5w-30 or 10w-40 (Non-Energy Star) synthetic oil.

There is no reason to ever use oil that thin in a 2 stroke M/C transmission

Last edited:
I have KDX200s and I tried the ATF type F, thats the only one you want to use. Dont use the Dextron or any of the others. It shifted great but I was worried it was too thin. Ive heard of guys mixing the two. I had No problems what so ever using it. The bike maker specs 10w30. I ussually use 15w40 just for the shear protection. Tell you the truth when you are talking about the gearbox on a two stroke dirtbike they are so tough and so simple, I am pretty much thinking you could dump Cooking oil in there and it would work. Tried 75w90 gear oil, didnt work at all. Grabbed terribly. Dont try that. If you want to try the ATF, try it, it wont hurt anything, just make sure you use the type F. Its supposed to have more lubricacy.

the gearboxes are subject to high shock loads in a single's gearbox, specially ridden off road

i'd use a manual trans oil, high ep adds help deal with the punishment you give those cogs

but my 5.7 manual 6 speed sez ONLY USE ATF

go figure ...

I used type F ATF in a modified CR250 and the clutch really grabs and hooks up...The low viscosity makes it quicker reving and very responsive as well...You just want to make sure you change it often...I had no mechanical issues using it and it shifted well, and the clutch action was better than anything I've ever tried.

I've used ATF in plenty of 2 strokes with no problems at all,although I change it much more often.ATF is recommended fill on a few manual car gearboxes (Mercedes and Mazda for a start) so don't see any problems with shear or bearing issues.Those cars would never have their gearbox oil changed for many years and tens of thousands of miles.

i raced Pennzoil ATF type F in my yz250 2stroke for 2 years. zero clutch wear, sparkling clean.

i changed it before every race.

i think i put in 24 or 25 races in those 2 years plus that in practice. call it a good 75 hours of race and practice time.

if i was riding a 2smoke right now, it would be the ONLY thing i put in the clutch side.

I use it in the trans side of my CRF, works fine. Ktm used to spec dextron for two stroke trans in their US racers handbook when their euro spec boutique oil wasn't available here. Been using it ever since.

My mazda built 5spd in a 1 ton ford uses atf and long drain intervals, if gearboxes shear as bad as the motorcycle forums tell you you'd think my 100,000+ would be toast by now?

I was in the local KTM shop yesterday. They have bottles of Motorex Dexron 2 for 13.99 a quart. Asked the parts guy what's used for , he said for the 2 stroke transmissions.

Originally Posted By: wileyE

My mazda built 5spd in a 1 ton ford uses atf and long drain intervals, if gearboxes shear as bad as the motorcycle forums tell you you'd think my 100,000+ would be toast by now?

if your truck motor and tranny could spin the same rpm's it would be toast.

but it's not even close. my bike idles at what your does driving 55mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back