What is this black stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never bothered to shine a light under the valve covers on our 1982 BMW 320i. Today when starting it up to run it (doesn't get driven more than 100 miles a year) I glanced in...

IMG_9611.jpg

Question is, what's the black stuff on the rocker arms (and in other places not seen there)?

EDIT: Should mention the car has just under 70,000 on it and has had regular 3,000 mile or less changes of Castrol GTX since new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Looks like carbon. You have to drive the car more . That is what cars are for!!!

I know, I know. At this point in its life its relegated to driving on sunny weekend afternoons though. It's honestly in similar condition to when it was new if not better, but it sits in the garage for 11.9 months out of the year. It's kind of a big operation to get it out as the battery is always dead and it's buried behind all that other "garage stuff"...

Carbon, kind of disappointing though. Wondering if maybe switching to a synthetic would help with that. The oil in there right now is 5 years old but only has about 200 miles on it.

In any case, is there anything to look out for in an engine this old when it comes to modern oils?

Hmmmm, those are Ribe head bolts. That was the brand of hex head bolts that had a problem with low density and voids at the bolt head. While flawed bolts would likely have broken by now, the recommendation is still to replace them, one by one, with new torque-to-yield head bolts. All new bolts have Torx heads to allow quick confirmation that they have been replaced.

Originally Posted By: djb
Hmmmm, those are Ribe head bolts. That was the brand of hex head bolts that had a problem with low density and voids at the bolt head. While flawed bolts would likely have broken by now, the recommendation is still to replace them, one by one, with new torque-to-yield head bolts. All new bolts have Torx heads to allow quick confirmation that they have been replaced.

gah, good to know...

Here are some other pictures of the car for those interested in a not-so-popular BMW from the early 80's...

IMG_0474Medium.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_4900Large.jpg

IMG_4894Large.jpg

Let's get that BEAUTIFUL BMW to WI and I will drive it for you. What do you mean not popular? I would have killed for one of those back in the 80's. My use to be next door neighbor in Texas use to have one that looked just like that. Great little cars. Not sure you need a synthetic, but as much as a waste as you think it might be, this spring I would change the oil with your favorite oil, drive it this summer, then when you put it back in the garage next winter, put it in there with a fresh oil change. And if it has not been done, I would change the differential and transmission.

Man, that is a nice old BMW/

That is one incredible looking vehicle. I applaud you for keeping it in such good shape.

What viscosity GTX oil do you use in it?

That car is in really, really nice shape.

You really should get it out and drive it more - BMW's were BUILT to be DRIVEN!

Super nice ride,and to remedy the inactivity problem,I could help you (through my own selfless reasons)put many well cared for miles on that nice beemer.Oh yes...

get a battery maintainer.. and your battery will last longer..

letting a battery sit dead kills them faster than anything.

costs less than a new battery.

looks like some minor oil goo.

probably caused by moisture and inactivity.

Since that's not a high performance engine.. just about any modern oil is fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Yes a battery tender is the ideal solution but the battery in there is 10 or 12 years old right now so it's past saving, easier to just jump it the first time it gets used and make sure to keep it running for a while.

It only has (IIRC) 105 hp so it's certainly not all that fast, very fun and easy to drive though, I think at 65-70 the engine is about 3,000 rpm or slightly above. I always find it amusing because the little thing is screaming away when my GTO is under 2,000 at the same speed.

Oil has been 20w50 as recommended in the manual for its life.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Let's get that BEAUTIFUL BMW to WI and I will drive it for you. What do you mean not popular? I would have killed for one of those back in the 80's. My use to be next door neighbor in Texas use to have one that looked just like that. Great little cars.

Thanks Johnny,

I don't mean to discount the car in any way, it is very nice. I just don't think they were considered particularly popular, kind of like a 2002 replacement that was heavier, slower, and larger. They aren't worth much $ today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back