New 2009 Nissan Altima with 2.5 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took delivery - have never done synthetic oil before, but thinking to do it with this car. We ususally run a car 15-20k miles/year over 10 years - southern california, commuting to/from work.

Nissan has three levels of recommendations in the service guide book, premium/standard1/standard2.

Engine oil and change interval recommendations? From reading here I am thinking 5w-30, PP or M1, and 5k interval. Nissan recommendation is to change 3750/3750/7500.

thx!
Vinny

Originally Posted By: bepperb
5000 miles is easy on PP or M1 or almost any oil, especially since I hope those are mostly highway miles.

Yes, highway miles - about 50 miles round trip every day - but frequently slow going, stop and go, traffic...

Welcome! I have a 07 with the QR25DE. I would drain the factory fill at 1,000 miles. Then do the next oil change at 5,000 miles. Then you can go every 5K after that. You can run dino or synthetic for the 5K intervals. You won't have problem with either.

Are you going to do your own oil changes? I would recommend not using the oem Nissan filters. They're better filters on the market for cheaper. I would keep a look out on the promotions/rebate forum on this site. You can usually pick up 5 quarts of Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 filter for $30.00 at different auto parts stores.

I would change out the FF at 2,000 miles and then 3,750 for the next two OCIs. I would venture to say that PP or M1 are overkill for this engine at 3,750 miles but they are great choices and easily go the 7,500 miles per Nissan. You could also just run a good dino like PYB or Valvoline, etc. and go by the 3,750 mile interval. Once the warranty is up then PP or M1 for 10,000 would be fine, but a UOA or two wouldn't hurt. Run a bottle of Redline SI-1, Amsoil PI, Techron or Gumout Regane every 5,000 miles and stick to top tier fuels when possible. I have no data on the Nissal oil filter but generally I really like Puroilator Pure One filters as well as M1 and K & N filters.

Sorry -

What is FF? Fuel filter?
What is UOA? I see it's an addative.

As to the oil filter, I use the M1 filters on my 05' Jeep Wrangler - like them.

Great info - thanks!

Originally Posted By: Vinny
Sorry -

What is FF? Fuel filter?
What is UOA? I see it's an addative.

As to the oil filter, I use the M1 filters on my 05' Jeep Wrangler - like them.

Great info - thanks!

Ah Vinny!
Congrats on the Altima. I have an 04 and love it.
FF is Factory Fill and UOA is Used Oil Analysis.
M1 filters are great but P1's are a better value. P1 is Purolator PureOne. P1 filter as well a M1's and are less costly.

I love the new Altimas.. good call.
I had an 02 3.5SE with manual trans.. Awesome car... hauled [censored] and ran perfect. (I'm a big VQ fan)

If I were to buy a VQ,I`d use either Mobil 1 or Valvoline dino. 350Z guys tend to lean toward 5W40s or 10W40s.

350 z's have the 3.5 in them. The 2.5 is a different animal. I would use a synthetic because the CVT tends to rev the rpm's up more during take off's. Buy some PP while it's on sale and enjoy.

I have the VQ40 in a 2007 Frontier and run Mobil 1 5W-30 EP with a NAPA Gold filter. Engine runs very well on this combination.

Hey Vinny!

Congrats on the Alti', I have a '09 Altima SL myself, love it. QR35DE.

I drained FF at 1,500mi, then next dino at 4,500mi and the last dino at 8,000mi last week.

Now when I hit 11,000-12,000mi I'm going to do the next fill with a full synthetic and am trying to decide on which oil.

Advance Auto right now has a sale for Valvoline SynPower full synthetic for $25 (5qts) + Purolator PureOne oil filter. I already decided on the Purolator, so this seems like a win-win and a great deal.

But I don't see much about Valvoline SynPower on here?? I just keep hearing about Mobile1 and PP.

I am in the North East, I do a lot of aggressive/power driving, occasional WOT, a lot of city driving and I am not easy on the car, I enjoy driving :).

Anyway, I was considering Full Synth with 10,000mi OCI, and I think I'm going to jump on the Valvoline Deal.

Any thoughts??

Drain first fill at 3,750 and second at 7,500 and there after at 7,500 using top over the counter synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 or Valvoline (not in any order) I get excellent UOAs running PP 5w30 for 6K in a turbo CX7 Mazda so 7,500 is very easy with your driving and a non turbo engine.

I have an '08 Altima 2.5SL that I have been doing 10K OCI on with no noticable oil consumption. I am using PP 5W-30 or M1 5W-30 depending on which is cheaper, and either an ST or Purolator filter.

I have not done any oil tests, but I am comfortable that there are no issues with doing the 10K OCI.

I drive about 95% highway miles and now have about 60K on the car. If you do a lot of city driving I would probably reduce the OCI down to 5-7K. (Since you are still under warranty...you should probably stick to the mfg recommended OCI in case you do end up having an issue)

Considering my driving style (very spirited, high revs, start/stops, mostly city driving, occasional WOT) and considering I live in an area that has sub 32 days most of the winter,

do you think a 0W-40 with pure one oil filter would be a better choice? With 10,000mi OCI.

Are you not confident with Valvoline SynPower?

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back