Lets talk footwear again

Status
Not open for further replies.
my favorite boot (non-safety) is the Asolo TPS 520. i've just about got the soles worn smooth on my first pair and the uppers still look good enough to wear to church if needed. got a new pair for the snowy months. not US made, but the Italians make some fine footwear
thumbsup2.gif

my daily steel toes are Chippewa. i've only had these for about 8 months, but i'm very satisfied so far.

I have yet to have a pair of red wings to fall apart in any way.
I usually wear out the soles after a 2 year stretch of rotating them.
They are still in pretty good shape,and if i really like them,I'll have them resoled.
I coat them with vaseline for winter protection as all my other leather goods.

I've worked on my feet in mfg for 20 yrs. Swore by my Red Wings. Then they went to the 'poured' sole, non-resoleable outside the factory. They now cause me continuous pain; feet, ankles, knees & hips. Tried Justin lacers, they did real well, but I like wellingtons. Tried some Justin wellingtons. first pair the heel collapsed and wore away in 6 months. Justin warranteed them, and the 2nd pair did the same thing. I had like the lacers so much, I tried yet another pair in a slightly different style; same rapid wear to the point of causing pain in 6 months. Tried wolverines, also painful. Now have a set of lace up Zcoil steel toes. Ugliest boots I ever saw. Pain is gone and they have yet to show any wear on the outsole. Only complaint I have is that they do not provide decent traction on snow or ice. My pain level was starting to make me wonder how I was going to support my family, these zcoils have made a HUGE difference, I don't care what they look like or what they cost ($300) and they are 100% made in USA.

dave

Danner is an excellant boot that is handcrafted in the USA. I ordered a pair of the Danner Mountain Lights a month ago and they are on back order due to the military order taking presidence. I can't wait to get them but I will wait in line considering the reason God Bless our Troops. Here is a review I pulled from there site. http://www.danner.com/

I am about to order my 12th pair of Danner Boots. From the US Military Mountain Boot, US Cav’s SF Boot to the Recons I have been getting, this is one great boot. Here in Western North Carolina in a Rain Forest there is some very rough terrain. I wear my Recons everyday. In addition to work like landscaping and building I hike a lot. We run an adventure race that in our 7th year has two races, a 50+ mile and a 30+ mile course. I cover every inch of both courses throughout the year many times over and my Danners are perfect for these conditions. http://www.soarhighlands.org

When I travel, from the Middle Fork of the Salmon River to Colorado’s peaks, and in the heat of Summer here in the South East I wear my boots.

There is nothing compared to having Recons on your feet, through streams up and down rough trail, snow and ice and slick ground, the support and traction can’t be beat.

Thank You and Best Regards.

Last edited:
If you can risk being identified with eurosnobs and greenie-bobs, ECCO walking/hiking boots are the bomb. They are the most comfortable and versatil thing I've ever seen or worn. I'm on my third pair in 10 years, first two pairs wore out fast (3-5 years) because I did a LOT of walking on pavement and in the woods.

The Lehigh Outfitters Lehigh and Dri steel toe Logger boots are also great boots.

http://www.lehighoutfitters.com/Lehigh--Dri-Steel-Toe-Waterproof-Insulated-Logger-Boot-5965

I bought a pair last year for my job and love them. They sell for around $136.00 on their website and are warm and waterproof. I rode my 4 wheeler during a 10 degree F snow we had a couple of weeks ago and my feet were the only part of my body that stayed warm. As you know Danner is still my first choice. I ordered a pair of Mountain Light Hikers last week on the web and can't wait for them to be delivered.

Lehigh is a great outfit. I have been wearing them for over 30 years. When I worked for the wire company I got them wholesale and they were tax deductible.

Originally Posted By: LAGA
As a carpenter for 27 years, I am on my feet all day. For the last 10-12 years I have been getting boots from either Cabelas for B. A. Masons, mainly for the comfort. The problem was they just did not last more than 9 months. A month ago I bought a pair of Red Wings for $250. They felt great in the store and the plan was for them to last longer than my other boots. After wearing them for two weeks, I developed pain in my right foot. Long story short, doctor says I have developed a Neuroma or "pinched Nerve" from the way my new boots with the stiffer sole makes me walk. I am looking at either inserts, shots, or therapy, or a combination of all three to get rid of the pain. Anybody want to buy a pair of Red Wings?

Be really careful with the Mortons Neuroma and don't trust a Podiatrist as a surgeon. I had the same thing in my right foot that started while running a 10k on Labor Day 2000. The pain feels like someone is driving a nail into the bottom of your foot. I had the shots, orthodics, and finally surgery in 2005. Do everything you can to avoid the surgery. My operation in mid December 05 was a disaster. I had 3 additional surgeries to aid my foot in healing over the next 3 months. The doctors tried everything and even put me in a "hyperbaric chamber everyday for 2 hours and that was a waste of time". I got frustrated and changed doctors to Vanderbilt Medical Center where they fitted me for a wound vac I had to wear for 3 months. At one point I was afraid I would lose my foot. My advice is to get fitted with quality shoes and have a professional fit you with Orthodics and do your best to live with it. I am pain free now after the surgeries but I can't feel my middle free toes anymore. Also the medical bills ended up right at $100k.

I'm on my feet all day and work with lumber so I need something durable. I had a pair of Keens which were more of lighter duty but got worn out from all the walking I do. I've been wearing Doc Martens for the last 3 months and have nothing but good things to say about them. They are a little stiff at first but get better once you break in. I wear these things for almost 10 hours a day 4.5 days a week and they are the most comfortable shoes I own.

Got my second pair of my previously mentioned Olivers yesterday.

Worn through the sole into that rubbery part, which is the work imposed tread wear limit.

Lasted pretty well compared to the last 20 years of boots (Blundstones won by a mile, these a long second).

Boots usually only get really comfortable when they are about to be replaced, but I was surprised at how good the new Olivers felt.

Must be that rolling tread thing, as the ones that I'm replacing were worn in the middle of the ball, and the outside heel. Middle of the ball was major wear area. Normally I wipe out the outside heel, and crack the ball.

What is this Blundstone boot u speak of Shannow. ANd also is any of the Oliver boots or Blundstone boots insulated? I am very interested in trying sum of these boots but cant have non insulated boots.

Blundstone was a classic Oz company, making great boots. Moved all of their manufacturing to China. Still a good boot, but I don't know anyone who buys them anymore.

They are pretty well thermally insualted (get warm), but prolly not to NY stndards.

Electrically, they are.

My new Danner Mountain Light Hikers were delivered via UPS this week. They are everything I thought they would be. Very well constructed and lightweight. I was able to order them from the Danner factory store via facebook. They won't sell over the internet unless you buy through facebook. Saved a considerable amount off the msrp. If you are looking for hikers In my opinion you can't buy a better boot.

Originally Posted By: pondfishr
My new Danner Mountain Light Hikers were delivered via UPS this week. They are everything I thought they would be. Very well constructed and lightweight. I was able to order them from the Danner factory store via facebook. They won't sell over the internet unless you buy through facebook. Saved a considerable amount off the msrp. If you are looking for hikers In my opinion you can't buy a better boot.

Did you write the previous post about Danner boots? I saw it in the customer letter section of the Danner website. I'd never heard of Danner before, but after looking at the website I am strongly considering getting a pair.

Yes I have posted about Danner a couple of times before. I originally found them from researching boot reviews on the web due to the many foot problems I have had. My shoes are very important to me and you need to choose them carefully. Their factory is in Portland Oregon and they offer different packages to refurbish your Danner's once they get some wear on them. If you look around you can find the best price. I own two pairs and love them. If you buy them I recommend getting the stitched sole for the reason it can be re-soled in the future.

That is true, they only re-sole the US made shoes. I called them a while back and asked about the non USA made boots and they told me they did that to compete with foreign made boot sellers. The boots made it Portland are Union made and are a superior product.

Can you gents give me suggestions of boot makers.
I found Danner has discontinued the work boot I use.
I tried Wolverines.Good on the slippery floor but cant wear them.
Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back