Taotao ATVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pics as assembled. Note the air injection and you guessed it.. that bulge in the exhaust pipe is a catalytic converter. The right side foot-well has to be completely removed to check/add/change engine oil. This is a no gear, gas and go wet clutch (engine/clutch share same oil). The engine is a Chonda rework version of the venerable Honda CT-90. This one is 107cc.
006-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

Joel

Boy that little bugger runs good. I finally had a chance to get out into the garage yesterday. Added a fuel petcock between the tank/carb, added gas, checked engine oil, got the battery installed and got it lit off. It took some cranking initially, but lights right off with a blip of the starter now. I can't get over how smooth and quiet it is. It idles right down to a real low putt....putt...putt.. and has snappy throttle response. After 20min of run time I dumped the Chinese honey (which turned to water) and refilled with Napa Fleet 15w40.

Joel

jtk that looks just like the 4 wheeler my fil got for my son.his is a 110 cc also.i hope you have better luck than i have had with ours.if you don't ride it or crank it at least every day it is an absolute bear to get started.i have run the battery down several times trying to start it.mine came with the wrong manual so not quite sure what everything is.as in is the screw by the thumb throttle the governor or is the little concealed screw inline with the throttle line the governor?

You definitely have to be up to the task prior to mail-ordering one of these. It's the price you pay for paying ~25% of what a name-brand ATV will cost you. I like to tinker and wrench as a hobby so it's not a problem for me. Yes the manual is absolutely worthless. Like so many things imported from China (form over function), the manual looks the part, but is useless. A 40+ pg paperback with my specific model # stamped on it, but the whole thing is just safety guidelines, precautions and warnings. There are a few pictures, but none of them fit my machine. It does recommend 15w40 engine oil, but not how to change/check/add or even the volume needed!! My machine came with a setup DVD. It's pretty funny. A couple of Chinese dudes in dollar store white gloves just outside the factory door demonstrating very basic unpacking and setup of the various quads. No text, no audio. In reality though, if you've got basic mechanical ability, much of it is self explanatory. It even comes with the tools needed for setup and basic maintenance. Yes, the throttle lock screw is the long Philips head screw with a hex lock nut. Basically screwing it in further prevents full range of the thumb throttle. It works well. The front drums and rear disk brakes are awesome. And the Chonda CT90 (107cc) is a really sweet little engine. Yes the 12V battery is the size of 2 juice boxes. You pretty much have to use the included trickle charger on it. Mine fires right up in temps below 20°F. Whitearrow, there are sites dedicated to Chinese ATVs that are awesome resources. I'll PM them to you.

Joel

Last edited:
thanks jtk.so the throttle stop limiter is the screw right on the thumb throttle assembly?so what is the screw in/out thingy that is inline with the gas line not far from the handlebars about 6" from the throttle assembly?

I think you're referring to the adjusting sleeve on the throttle cable? That adjusts the length of stroke on the cable. The same thing is on each brake cable for the front brakes.

Joel

you are righto my friend .so what does it do.i was under the terrible assumption that this was the governor/limiter until i found the screw on the throttle assembly.

Is it a full CT110 engine and transmission? I had a 81 CT110 with low and high range 4 spd transmission as my first bike. It was a tough engine, handled WO for 20 minutes at a time.
Wish I still had it.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Is it a full CT110 engine and transmission?

Some parts are pretty much identical, but there's lots of Chinese variations; Single speed (gas and go), 3spd semi-auto w/ reverse, 3spd w/ manual clutch. Some have a kick-start, some have kick w/ electric start, some electric start only. Mine is electric start only w/ single speed centrifugal wet clutch. The major Chinese manufacturers are Loncin, Zongshen and Lifan among others. It is a great little engine. I had a CT70 3spd manual on a 1970 something Honda Trail bike as a youngster. This chain driven OHC engine has been around since the 1960's I believe. This is engine on mine:

320077382_o.jpg

320077219_o.jpg

Well I guess that's the most "child proof" set up. The centrifugal clutch on the 110 held up to some abuse... I remember one of my friends not understanding that you should down shift as you slow down... Took me a while to figure out why they were taking off so slow but it turned out they just kept it in 3rd the whole time... Didn't miss a beat!

Yeah, the one on my kiddie machine is about equivalent to being stuck in permanent second gear. There's no neutral or reverse. Just gas and go (need to have the brake on to start it). The adjusting screw and jamb-nut out the clutch side of the case is to adjust the clutch once it starts to loose it's grip. The chrome, slotted caps on the other side of the case are for stator inspection and lining things up for valve clearance checks.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back