How do you dispose of your used coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually I only have about a gallon to dispose so I just slowly blend it in with the used oil and give it to walmart.

I know I'm not supposed to do that, but what the heck am I supposed to do when nobody takes it?

Now during the weekend I accumulated a few gallons of used coolant over the weekend and it's too much to just throw it in with the oil... so where/how am I supposed to dispose of it?

Originally Posted By: qship1996
pour it down the toilet

+1 if there is nowhere nearby to recycle it.

Ethylene Glycol is fast food for the bacteria and protozoa in sewer treatment systems. The only issue is possible trace metal content in the used antifreeze such as lead and copper.

" Ethylene glycol is readily biodegradable in standard tests using sewage sludge. Many studies show biodegradation under both aerobic and anaerobic conditions. Some studies suggest a lag phase before degradation, but many do not. Degradation occurs in both adapted and unadapted sludges. Rapid degradation has been reported in surface waters (less in salt water than in fresh water), groundwater, and soil inocula. Several strains of microorganisms capable of utilizing ethylene glycol as a carbon source have been identified."

http://www.inchem.org/documents/cicads/cicads/cicad_22.htm

I would not add it to used oil.

Find out if your local dump has "household hazardous waste" days or similar. The dump here is open a couple days a week in the morning and will take things like electronic waste and most auto fluids for free. I've gotten rid of coolant there before.

Actually, that reminds me I have a full container in the garage to dump...

I'm pretty sure that dumping it in the sewer system is not the best method to dispose of coolant. Aren't there metals in it after it's used?

If you have a recycling center in your town, that would be the best place.

many/most places that take used oil will also take used coolant - like pep boys. you should not pour it down the drain, as it contains metals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qship1996
pour it down the toilet

That made me laugh. Well since it has metals in it just put a magnet in toilet and pour it in lol lol. Oh man

My local council advises to put it in plastic containers, screw the lid on tight, and throw in the landfill.

They'll run over it gently with the bulldozers.

Fortunately my local recycling center takes it. Before that I used to dump it down the sink.

But, I'd dump it down the sink before I'd mix it with used oil for recycling. JMO

They pondered this issue some years ago in Car and Driver magazine. Wanting an answer, one of the editors called the tech line at one of the antifreeze manufacturers, and was told just pour it into an open bucket and let it evaporate. The problem was, the writer mused, a bucket of coolant will evaporate about as fast as a bucket of rocks!

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I'm pretty sure that dumping it in the sewer system is not the best method to dispose of coolant. Aren't there metals in it after it's used?

If you have a recycling center in your town, that would be the best place.

Honestly you're talking about single and low double digit PPM's of lead, aluminum, copper, iron.... it's nothing that's not in there anyway...

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
i pull the bottom hose off the radiator and let it run down the driveway into the street

As much as I hate where I live, i would never do that because there are still people that walk their dogs around, and can lick the coolant off the ground.

ONLY pour it down the drain if it goes to a sewer treatment plant. Do not do this if you have a septic system. If you can't do that, take it to a recycling center/hazardous waste facility. Do not pour it on the ground or into a storm drain.

As for me, the transfer station in my town has a tank specifically for used antifreeze. It's right next to the used oil tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back