pro and con with bulb grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any body tell me a good reason to use bulb grease or good reason not use it.

If you are talking about dielectric grease, helps stop corrosion, reduces arcing,and great to use on household bulbs, no more potatoes to get out the stuck bases

For: Seal moisture out, maybe aid in future removal.

Against: There may be some in there from the factory so addition isn't required.

Last edited:
Like anything else, to much is a bad thing. Very light coating is a good thing for the above reasons.

Never thought about using it in a household light bulb. I will have to give that a try.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Like anything else, to much is a bad thing. Very light coating is a good thing for the above reasons.

Never thought about using it in a household light bulb. I will have to give that a try.

I've used plain old silicone spray on 110V bulb bases. Keeps them from sticking in rasty old outdoor sockets.

There's a simple solution that doesn't require grease in most cases....

Don't tighten light bulbs so tightly! They aren't going anywhere.

I notice the fluorescent bulbs use stainless on the bases which keeps things working as opposed to aluminum bases. I have used dielectric grease on the old style auto bulbs. I guess I should probably use it on any style.

I use dielectric grease on every single electrical connection on my cars... once you have a 17 year old vehicle and you need to disconnect something that hasn't been disconnected in that long you'll put it on everything so it doesn't happen again.

I also have aquarium lights (CF) that have a pin base that love to corrode together, the grease makes them easy to pop on and off.

Cons... it's grease, attracts dirt. Don't use so much and it's not a problem.

The yellow earwax snot in GM cars works quite well against corrosion, but the bayonet bulbs (twist & turn) still seem to have their base contacts lose springiness and cause issues. I never have to add more grease, they seem to put in 10x as much as was needed.

On cars? For bulbs and connections this is a great thing.
It keeps water/humidity out This is it's primary benefit. Also, there is some direct corossion protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back