Toyota 90915-YZZF1 (Denso Thailand) Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
After cutting apart a SuperTech 4967 the other day, I was curious how the OEM Toyota filters compared.

The local dealer was having a sale on their filters, $5/each if you buy at least two, so I picked up four (enough for the next two years or so), intending to cut up one.

First observations: The Toyota filter is a bit longer than the SuperTech. The gasket comes pre-lubricated with what appears to be grease, but I'm not sure if this is only for protection of the rubber in transit and is supposed to be wiped off and replaced with oil prior to installation. To protect the gasket while the filter is in the box, there's a thin plastic film spanning that end of the filter. The gasket is seated lower in its groove than the SuperTech, and requires a thin tool to remove (the SuperTech one could be removed by hand).

Here it is:

And here it is disassembled:

Unlike the SuperTech, there are no end caps on the Toyota paper element at all. The ends of the filter element have a clear, rigid substance applied evenly to them. Each pleat is pinched together very tightly (sealed with glue?). The pleats appear to be spaced very evenly around the filter, with the exception of where the pleats are glued together to form the shape of the cylindrical element. The pleats are quite stiff.

There is a central metal cylinder with numerous, equally-spaced holes. It appears to be well-constructed, strong, and does not have any burrs or other marks left over from manufacture.

The anti-drainback valve is smaller in diameter than the SuperTech (4.7cm vs 5.4cm). It is constructed of a black rubber. It seals well against the metal cylinder in the center of the filter element and against the base.

The bypass valve consists of a button valve held in place with a coil spring. It appears to open at a lower pressure (measured subjectively with my thumbs) than the SuperTech. Otherwise, construction of the valve is very similar.

Like most similar bypass valves, it sits button-down in a hole at the top of the filter element.

Here's the two filters next to each other. As you can see, the Toyota filter has a longer filter element (7.3cm vs 4cm) than the SuperTech. (Note: The SuperTech's metal end caps fold over the ends of the filter media, and I'm only measuring the exposed height of the paper media, and am not counting any under the end cap. The full height of the SuperTech filter media, including the end cap, is 5.1cm.)

The Toyota pleats are 1.6cm in depth vs. the SuperTech's 1.3cm.

Conclusion:
It seems like a decent filter, well-made, and appears to be worth $5. Based on appearance, build quality, and construction alone, it seems to be worth the additional $0.61 compared to a Fram PH4386 at AutoZone. Not sure how it compares in performance to the $2.57 SuperTech, but even so the price is quite reasonable.

With the exception of two Jiffy Lube oil changes, my 2006 Camry has used these filters exclusively. After I figure out what to do with the remaining SuperTech filter I have (probably use it for the next change, or give it to a friend for their oil change), I'll likely be sticking with the Toyota filters for the life of my car so long as they remain reasonably affordable.

Last edited:
Okay, who is going to be the first to say it's no good and cheap because it has "no" end caps?

By the way, thanks for posting these very clear/quality pictures for us to see.

Quote:

it's no good and cheap because it has "no" end caps

I'm game.....
56.gif

Last edited:
Edit: I had mistakenly titled the original post as cutting apart a 90915-YZZF2. In fact, the filter is a 90915-YZZF1. Sorry.

I've corrected the original post, but some replies might have a title referencing the original title.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Okay, who is going to be the first to say it's no good and cheap because it has "no" end caps?

It's no good and cheap because it has no end caps. Sorry, couldn't help myself. Really, I don't believe I ever saw one without end caps. I'm sure they are a fine filter.

You're welcome. I'm rather happy they turned out as well as they did, considering I was taking them with no flash, in macro mode, on my rather old, 4MP Canon PowerShot A520.

As always, one can click to embiggen the photos.

what is the ST equivilant to this filter? and is it safe to use in a 07 corolla with the 1.8

nice write up man, thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: defektes
what is the ST equivilant to this filter? and is it safe to use in a 07 corolla with the 1.8

According to the computer at Wal-Mart, the SuperTech 4967 is the correct filter to use. I cut one open here.

The SuperTech filter I cut open seems to be reasonably well-made, though the Toyota one seems a bit better made. Comments from others here at BITOG seem to indicate that they're perfectly satisfactory and safe to use, at least within the recommended OCIs from the vehicle manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Made in Thailand, I prefer made in USA if possible.

I understand completely, and generally agree.

That said, this filter certainly seems to be a quality product and available at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

I was using the OEM Toyota filters on '05 Tacoma, but decided to switch to PureONEs due to the lack of filtering performance of the Toyota filters compared to the PureONEs. Also, I've cut a few OEM Toyota filters open, and even though each pleat is supposed to be sealed at the end of each pleat, I don't really like the design after seeing it with my own eyes. Still prefer oil filters with full metal end caps.

Used the Denso's for my first 3 OCI's. No complaints other than the very smooth/slick outer can, very hard to grip. Part of the reason I bought them was to get a supply of crush washers. The dealer where I bought them, threw the washer in for free. When my free OCD comes off in a couple weeks, I have 2 Pure oNes to use. They were real cheap on Amazon after rebate. Never used a Pure One before. Hopefully the grippy surface make filter removal a cleaner affair.

Thanks for the nice sharp photos.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Never used a Pure One before. Hopefully the grippy surface make filter removal a cleaner affair.

The grippy texture on the PureONEs works pretty good IMO. I just use my hand to install and remove now ... but I had to use an end wrench on the OEM Toyota filters - too slick like you said.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

I was using the OEM Toyota filters on '05 Tacoma, but decided to switch to PureONEs due to the lack of filtering performance of the Toyota filters compared to the PureONEs. Also, I've cut a few OEM Toyota filters open, and even though each pleat is supposed to be sealed at the end of each pleat, I don't really like the design after seeing it with my own eyes. Still prefer oil filters with full metal end caps.
Do you know the efficiency rating of the OEM Toyota filters? Or was the performance observation more from river_rats bench tests.

The PH4967 is actually the spec'd filter size on many of the Toyota 1.8l engines. My 1993 Corolla used one and my 03 Matrix can use that size. I use the one the OP cut open because it is longer. As long as you have space, it will fit. Toyota also sells the ones which match the PH4967 in length. There is a longer Fram available with the correct thread pitch but I don't recall the number. The ST variant of the 4967 is also labeled 4967. If your 2007 Corolla (1ZZFE?) uses a spin on filter, it will fit.

Last edited:
Nice pics. Sometimes I use Denso filters on my trucks. The difference between the Toyota Denso filters and the Denso filters (which come in a blue can) is that the Denso blue cans has a silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted By: wantin150

The PH4967 is actually the spec'd filter size on many of the Toyota 1.8l engines. My 1993 Corolla used one and my 03 Matrix can use that size. I use the one the OP cut open because it is longer. As long as you have space, it will fit. Toyota also sells the ones which match the PH4967 in length. There is a longer Fram available with the correct thread pitch but I don't recall the number. The ST variant of the 4967 is also labeled 4967. If your 2007 Corolla (1ZZFE?) uses a spin on filter, it will fit.

that is the engine, I have a yzzf2 on it now. ty

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Do you know the efficiency rating of the OEM Toyota filters? Or was the performance observation more from river_rats bench tests.

Yes, my comment about the filtering efficiency was based on river_rat's bench testing. I felt his comparative testing was accurate, as you could plainly see the filters that had high efficiency ratings really did filter out more in his tests.

I've run these many times on my 05 Corolla and posted photos of the used filter.

They work well.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back