Ball joint quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting the rebate but I can't use it. I have to go in the store to return the OE ball joints and pay the difference for TRW or Moog since I paid in the store to start with when I bought the OE brand ball joints.

I do have a printed page from Rockauto.com though, they have Moogs for my truck at $58.00 each. I will ask AAP if they will match the Rock Auto price, but I'm not holding my breath. If they will match it I will get Moogs. If not, I'll get TRW. Either way I know for sure I don't want to use the OE brand parts. I read on some other web sites OE are just plain junk. The only reason I bough them to start with was I thought I would be replacing the ball joints this past weekend, but nobody around here had TRW in stock. I didn't get the chance to do it so now I have plenty of time to order in TRW or Moog. I'll be stopping by AAP this afternoon on my way home.

Thanks for the help here.

I never use Chinese parts in critical areas, save for certain brands of brake rotors. That said, I'd get the Moog Problem Solver or Raybestos PG.

I returned the OE parts and paid the difference for TRW's tonight after work. They had to order them in, they should be in by tomorrow. AAP was very good about the refund but they could/would not match an online price for Moogs.

I feel a lot better spending the extra money and getting reliable parts. There was a ton of negative reviews and problems concerning OE brand Chinese parts online. After reading through it there is no way I would use that junk on my truck, especially for critical suspension parts. I just hope I can get the old ones drilled out without too much trouble.

Thanks everyone for helping me on this one.

Good for you

lol

everybody who reads this thread is going to breath a little easier when they see you chose the TRW!!

seriously, you did good. Don't sweat the extra dough.

When you get grinding and drilling on those old rivets you'll be glad to not be doing the job again soonly.

I bought an electric 3/8" right-angle drill, an electric angle grinder and some sanding discs, and an assortment of cut-off discs and grinding discs at Harbor Freight tonight. I have some smaller sanding discs and grinding stones for my Dremel and I have an old right angle Makita cordless drill with a worn-out trigger but I figure will probably need heavier artillery for this job. Between the coupons I had and what was on sale I spent 60 bucks at HF tonight, but I saved almost 20 bucks. I got one of the little free LED flashlights too.

I know a lot of people bash HF tools but they will (and usually do) work fine for the work I do here at home. I wouldn't use HF tools if I were in the professional auto repair or carpentry business and needed tools that would withstand every day use and abuse. That is what Snap-On, Mac and Matco are for. But I hear even some of their stuff is made in Mexico and China now too...

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
What ever happened to "Big A" auto parts? All their suspension parts were sourced from TRW.

I remember seeing Big A many years ago when I was a kid up in Georgia. There are no Big A stores around here, though.

Picked up the new parts tonight, and what a difference between the TRW and the OE junk...TRW is much heavier and much more solid steel. Even the new mounting bolts and castle nut they sent with the TRW are of ten times better quality. I sure am glad I listened here and got the good quality ball joints. Incidentally, the TRW are not made in the USA, and not Canada either. The box says "Made in Mexico" but there is a night and day difference in the quality. I really couldn't care less if they were made on Mars, as long as they are a good quality part that won't fail and cause me to lose my steering.

moog has went downhill since the chapter 11 reorganization. Still a good part but I wouldn't put it over TRW Spicer (raybestos professional) or Mcquay Norris Extreme.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back