Traveller 15w-40 from Tractor Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone have any info on this stuff, They had it on clearance for .99 a qt. I think it was only CI-4 rated though? Is this stuff comparable to the walmart oil or is it not a good oil to use in the newer diesel motors?

Originally Posted By: jdw1222
anyone have any info on this stuff, They had it on clearance for .99 a qt. I think it was only CI-4 rated though? Is this stuff comparable to the walmart oil or is it not a good oil to use in the newer diesel motors?

for .99 a qt for CI-4? back the truck up its a fine oil.

Originally Posted By: daman

for .99 a qt for CI-4? back the truck up its a fine oil.

If it's the same stuff that is in the CI-4 bottles of Super Tech 15W-40, then it's a really good oil. That Super Tech had like 1200ppm of Zinc, and 3000ppm of calcium.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
For the cost, you could perform a VOA and be assured of your purchase.

id love to see it!!,always wonderd about TSC traveller CI-4 15w40.

it was on clearance. I didn't look real close so maybe the rating I posted is incorrect?? I will check tomorrow to be sure and post back

also, is this stuff jsut for farm tractors or is it ok to use in my truck? I have no EGR system anymore.

If it is ok, i will buy it and i will send a sample off for a UOA and post back

also, is this stuff jsut for farm tractors or is it ok to use in my truck? I have no EGR system anymore.

If it is ok, i will buy it and i will send a sample off for a UOA and post back

Yes yes it's perfectly fine to use in your truck,i use CI 15w40 in one of my work cars,great oil
love to see a VOA/UOA with TBN.

I "think" it is made by CITGO. If you can get an MSDS from Tractor Supply that should tell you. And, if you ask them for one, by law they have to give it to you.

Its made by WPP and is likely identical to the Super Tech 15w-40 I mentioned. I've seen a VOA of the Super Tech that was used in a motorcycle, and although it sheared, the wear metals were very low.

Id love to see a voa as well!

One thing I recently noticed was walmarts ST 15-40 just went CJ-4. I'm wondering if TSCs oil will follow. I hope not but only time will tell.

It will be fine in your truck.

I'm not sure who makes/blends the Traveller stuff in your area. Most of us suspect local or regional refiners, and the lubes are made to the purchase order spec. While I would not consider them top tier products, I believe the house brands are reasonably suited for "normal" applications and OCIs.

The old CI-4 oils do not have as much detergent or dispersants, because they were made for non-EGR engines. They also have a higher TBN because back then, there was more sulphur in the fuel and oil.

Your owner's manual should state what API cert's are applicable. Many times you might be supprised what is acceptable for use. For example, my 2006 Dmax manual shows that anything CH-4 or higher is OK for use. At the time, CI-4+ was the current API standard. I use whatever CJ-4 I can find on sale.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

The old CI-4 oils do not have as much detergent or dispersants,

As compared to what???

just the contrary most times it has loads of calcium vs. CJ-4

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

The old CI-4 oils do not have as much detergent or dispersants, because they were made for non-EGR engines. They also have a higher TBN because back then, there was more sulphur in the fuel and oil.

CI4/CI4+ is a spec designed for EGR. With CJ4, EGR rates were increased in 07 and dispersants (nonmetallic, such as succinimides) were increased. However, metallic detergents (Ca/Mg sulfonate/phenate/salicylate) were decreased and there was a shift from Ca to Mg to meet the 1.00% ash requirement; thus the decrease in TBN.

Charlie

Agreed. Thanks Charlie.

While I understand that Ca was reduced from it's former levels, other components have been added or bolstered to compensate. So, on the whole, CJ-4 has more detergents and dispersents to deal with the expected increase of EGR in the DPF equipped vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Its made by WPP and is likely identical to the Super Tech 15w-40 I mentioned. I've seen a VOA of the Super Tech that was used in a motorcycle, and although it sheared, the wear metals were very low.

you are right, i looked today and every jug had WPP on the bottom,,PCEO/HDEO and hyd oil's,,all had WWP marked,

so im thinking it's going to be good stuff,we need a voa....i also seen that voa from sunruhs testing.

stocked up today. the weird thing is qt were cheaper than the gallons, and the gallons were cheaper than the 2.5 gallons. Kind of backwards really. I bought 12 qts at .99 and (8) 1 gallon jugs at 4.99. the 2.5 were 14.99 so not as good of a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back