Motorcraft FL 910

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. It's the ford equivalent spec for their 2.0 in the late model Focus (same engine). I'd personally recommend using the FL-400S if you're going to use a motorcraft filter. It has the same dimensions as the FL-910 with the one exception of being about 1/2" longer. It uses the threaded end bypass valve -vs- dome end, plus has a silicon anti-drainback valve where the FL-910 only has a rubber.

The FL-910 is simply a Purolator Classic filter whereas the FL-400S is made specifically for Ford by Purolator.

Just last week I changed the oil on my Mazda3 2.3L and replaced the FL-910 I was using with the FL-400S. The FL-400S went on with no problems and there don't seem to be any clearance issues with the extra length.

*Note - I swapped the factory cartridge setup for the 2.0L factory spin-on setup.

Originally Posted By: mshu7
Just last week I changed the oil on my Mazda3 2.3L and replaced the FL-910 I was using with the FL-400S. The FL-400S went on with no problems and there don't seem to be any clearance issues with the extra length.

*Note - I swapped the factory cartridge setup for the 2.0L factory spin-on setup.

Aren't you on mazda3forums.com as well? Pretty sure I remember you from there... I'm SiXX.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
I'd personally recommend using the FL-400S if you're going to use a motorcraft filter. It has the same dimensions as the FL-910 with the one exception of being about 1/2" longer.
Will it fit ok with the underbody panel

Originally Posted By: lizzyfan
I'd personally recommend using the FL-400S if you're going to use a motorcraft filter. It has the same dimensions as the FL-910 with the one exception of being about 1/2" longer.

Obviously you should measure first just to be safe... however I can tell you that the FL-400S is approx 1/2" longer than the FL-910. You still want extra clearance for engine shifting under accel, decel, turning, etc. My 2.0L in my '06 mx-5 is mounted front to back, not side-to-side like a mazda 3... so I can't tell you "yes or no" for your application, but I can tell you that I have no clearance in my application. If mshu7 says his fits on his Mazda 3, then it should also fit on yours as you have the same engine layout & design (the 2.0L - 2.3L is irrelevant).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lizzyfan

Obviously you should measure first just to be safe... however I can tell you that the FL-400S is approx 1/2" longer than the FL-910. You still want extra clearance for engine shifting under accel, decel, turning, etc. My 2.0L in my '06 mx-5 is mounted front to back, not side-to-side like a mazda 3... so I can't tell you "yes or no" for your application, but I can tell you that I have no clearance in my application. If mshu7 says his fits on his Mazda 3, then it should also fit on yours as you have the same engine layout & design (the 2.0L - 2.3L is irrelevant).

Keep in mind that the FL-400S has shrunk a little bit in size, I'm not sure if you're taking that into account or not when comparing it to the 910. I don't know what the 910 looks like, just thought I'd mention it.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Keep in mind that the FL-400S has shrunk a little bit in size, I'm not sure if you're taking that into account or not when comparing it to the 910. I don't know what the 910 looks like, just thought I'd mention it.

Yep! I thought I mentioned that already, but just reread my posts and realized I hadn't. The FL-400S used to be approx 1" longer... but they shortened it about 1/2". That extra 1/2" is what allows it to fit under my car now and still allow proper clearance for engine movement.

To the original poster... my recommendation is to make sure you get the shorter version (very obvious if you have one next to the other). Otherwise, here's a "make shift" way to tell which one you have... the newer version is approx ONE finger width longer than the FL-910 while the older version is TWO finger widths.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mshu7
Sorry for the late response.

YES, the FL-400S fits nicely under the Mazda 2.0/2.3 engine.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back