Safe Riding Techniques and Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a thread on safe riding techniques and practices?

Any suggestion on how to deal with difficult road, traffic and weather conditions while riding?

difficult road = slow down, keep your eyes open.. no daydreaming :)

traffic = be 3x more observant than you would be in your cage, grow eyes in the back of your head.

Weather = DRESS FOR THE CONDITIONS, rain/cold weather.

Twisty bits = DONT CROSS THE YELLOW, DONT RIDE OVER YOUR HEAD. there is always someone faster than you.

these are my generic awnsers.

one thought that has served me well whether driving a car or a motor cycle, is always leave an out. My thinking is along the lines of what would I do if the bed falls off the back of that truck? So I always am scanning for a escape route.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
one thought that has served me well whether driving a car or a motor cycle, is always leave an out. My thinking is along the lines of what would I do if the bed falls off the back of that truck? So I always am scanning for a escape route.

The best way to think!
Just don't make it an actual distraction while riding :p

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
DONT CROSS THE YELLOW,

My bus driver used to do that alot in a amtran. Would scare the daylights out of us.
32.gif

approaching any intersection ...

I ALWAYS TRY TO LOOK THE OTHER DRIVER IN THE EYE

it works, not sure why. but often they will start to pull out on me, then stop

always look at the road surface, try and see what shouldn't be there - eg tire rubber, diesel, water, dead animals etc

defensive driving is your friend

Practice emergency braking from all speeds you normally travel. Practice this alot.

Look where you want to go. Don't look at what you're afraid of hitting. You go where you look.

Assume every car you see is deliberately and actively trying to kill you.

Try to cross railway track as perpendicular as conditions allow. Tracks that cross the street diagonally are the tricky ones. I usually swing out away from them then turn as close to 90 degrees before crossing.

Watch for deer. Deer probably kill/injure more motorcyclists than anything else next to cars. Remember, it's not usually the deer you see that will get you. It's the one you don't see. Deer often travel in numbers. Don't worry about the one that has already crossed the road. Look for the one(s) that will be following it.

Be aware of other vehicles blind spots and use your signals when changing lanes. Cagers have more respect for considerate, law biding riders.

When cornering aggressively with a lot of lean, keep your head as vertical as possible. It helps with balance and control.

Don't be afraid to use your front brakes. They do most of the stopping.

if you need to lay the bike down in an emergency, use both brakes to reduce speed then lock your rear brake to initiate the slide before going down. It's something we hope we never have to do but it's better than high-siding.

I think the topic of safe riding and safe practices is a bit to seroius to treat in a forum thread.

There is a lot of good reading on the topic: Check out "Motorcycling Excellence" available at the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. http://www.msf-usa.org/

While you are there, consider a class. I never did take the "beginers" class. I'm not certain if it was available when I started riding. I did take the experienced rider's course and WOW it really opened windows for me. I recommend both classes as appropriate. I will repeat the ERC before too long.

Take a motorcycle safety course. Cheap, and easy to find.

ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME! i.e., dress for the crash, not the ride. Sweat washes off. Skin grafts in the Burn Unit suck.

Learn your bike's basics-tire pressures (frequent), chain slack, headlight adjustments, fluid levels, what wires go to what things, especially running lights. No, you don't have to become a master mechanic, but if you miss an avoidable problem, it's your butt, not someone elses.

I always rode (yes, past tense; I'm currently hugely underemployed) in the left side of the lane. My rationale: I drive from the left side of my car, therefore all my visual cues are the same, I'm seen in both car mirrors, I stay out of blind spots, no one can get me opening a car door, and people have to pass me properly without running me out of my lane.

Oh, and practice, practice, practice! Find deserted roads and do progressively harder stops to the point of nearly losing the front end so you're not surprised during a real emergency. Practice swerves and lane changes, and progressively add some braking. You'll thank yourself when you prevent some moron from killing you. And they WILL try to kill you.

If you can possibly afford it, take professionally taught track courses. I know I will when I can.

Ride safe!

When you're stopped at a stop light and a car is approaching from the rear pump your front brake so your tail lights flash on and off..If they're not paying attention the flashing light kind of wakes them up so to speak and makes them more likely to see you....This also works in a car...

All of these are good. Wear protective gear! That is, full face helmet and jacket at least. Boots, gloves, and pants are a good idea as well. I even wear a dorky yellow reflective vest. You should dress for the crash, not the ride.

And the words of my grandfather when he taught me to ride ring in my ears quite often. He always told me, "Never think you know how to ride." Meaning there is always something to learn and experience to gain. When you have learned it all, you're gonna go down.

Originally Posted By: bonnie john
approaching any intersection ...

I ALWAYS TRY TO LOOK THE OTHER DRIVER IN THE EYE

it works, not sure why. but often they will start to pull out on me, then stop

always look at the road surface, try and see what shouldn't be there - eg tire rubber, diesel, water, dead animals etc

I alway's watch the front wheel. If it starts moving I'm ready to react. People can be looking right at you and not see you.

defensive driving is your friend

I alway's watch the front wheel. If it starts moving I'm ready to react. People can be looking right at you and not see you.

Last edited:
When approaching an intersection where someone is coming in from the side I like to half-stand on the pegs when I'm two seconds out so I suddenly grow in size, a visual anomaly that hints I'm going faster than I really am.

A little side to side weaving also shakes the headlight and makes one more visible to a driver with bad depth perception.

Originally Posted By: 47HO

Pretend you are invisible. Because to most cages you are.

Exactly; NEVER assume they can see you- even if you make eye contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back