Briggs and Stratton Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all... Got a question..wanting peoples thoughts on B&S oil filters.... alright to use longer filters on these engines..... like the wix 51348 vs the 51056 they call for... about 1/2 price reason i was asking..... just wondering others thoughts on this...and 10-30 in about any brand alright??

I run a Wix 51348 or Purolator L10241 on my grandpa's briggs,
with Shell Rotella 15w40 and it loves it.
I've been running this combo for 3 years now.
10w30 will be fine, but I'd opt for an HDEO if available.
Either 15w40, or 5w40.

I am using a SuperTech 3614, same filter my Saturn uses. Oil has stayed cleaner than with the OEM Briggs filter and my wallet is much heavier. This is on a Murray Rider with a 16.5 hp motor. I had some free Valvoline SynPower 10W-30 free after rebate (SL version). Down to my last quart. Seems to be fine for this engine.

I would definately use a bigger filter if it fits! Those little Briggs things are tiny. Almost like the one in my Dad's Dodge.
lol.gif

i hate to use this word.. but i guess fram PH3614s would be alright too.. will be changed on a reg. basis...

My neighbor is a big Ford fan. Only drives Ford trucks. Maybe I will put Motorcraft FL400s on next time and ride over to give him a look see. He will only use Valvoline oil in his vehicles. So, he should like my combo.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
My neighbor is a big Ford fan. Only drives Ford trucks. Maybe I will put Motorcraft FL400s on next time and ride over to give him a look see. He will only use Valvoline oil in his vehicles. So, he should like my combo.

One advantage of the long FL400 - it sticks out further, so it's easier to get hold of when it's time to change!!
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PL10241-...3846&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PL20195-...7366&sr=1-1

Great prices on great oil fliters to replace Briggs. (2 for 1 and free shipping).

Question:

The large filter is nearly 2x longer than than "short".. that means the larger filter:

-Takes longer to fill.
-If engine over-revs ..longer for the bypass valve to kick in.
-A bigger element menas more filtration; but it also means slower filtration.

Can a Briggs oil pump handle all this without fearing oil stravation?

Pete591, I think the extra volume from a larger filter in a pressurized system would only take a fraction of a second to fill ... and, of course, this assumes that the oil has drained out of the filter, past the anti-drain-back valve.

Anyone have any GPM or GPH figures for these small engine pumps?

"A bigger element means more filtration; but it also means slower filtration."

Not sure I understand or agree. A larger filtration area is less restrictive so you would get slightly more flow if the smaller filter was any restriction (which is likely). However, the larger filter area will mean oil will hit the media at a lower velocity ... kind of like a reverse venturi effect. This means particles og a given size are more likely to get caught in the media fibers as opposed to blowing on through.

All else being equal, I don't see a downside to using a larger, longer filter assuming you have sufficient clearance. I suppose if you were to replace a filter with one that is ridiculously larger (say, 8" long as opposed to the stock 2" filter) then there might be a problem with the pump being able to fill it at start-up after a very long sit (depending on the angle at rest).

"You can always fill or partially fill a larger filter just before install."

True, but I was thinking of a piece of OPE that sits for a long time ... like a generator or a piece that is used seasonally ... like a roto-tiller. If the filter is positioned in such a way that it is threads-down, it could drain partially or completely while in storage.

However, most filters are usually positioned round-end-down allowing for only a small amount to seep out past the anti-drain-back valve over time.

FYI...a short B&S oil filter is exactly 2" long. A long filter would be 4"..

My .02

The 2" filter is used by B&S on engines as small as a 12 HP and as big as their 20+ HP V-Twins. Putting a 2" oil filter on a 20 HP+ engine seems dumb perhaps.

I think I am fine with a large filter on a 20 HP V-Twin.

My oil filter screws in so it sticks out sideways on the side of the engine. They do have an anti-drainback valve on the filters I would use of course.

Valve is set to 12-14 psi.

Last edited:
I am on 5 years, and 375 Hrs on my DYT400 18.5 OHV B&S Single.
I have used nothing but these B&S oil filters that i change once a year along with the 5W30 Pennzoil Synthetic.... I would change filters, but it has been working fine for this long.. so i am going to stick with them.. My luck would have it, i would put a different filter on, and the engine would give out.. :O

Originally Posted By: daman
Not allot of elements to theses filters,i run a P1 over sized on my INTEK 18.5.

Picture002-5.png

That is the most pathetic excuse for an oil filter I have ever seen.

I call it a "why bother" oil filter.

Last edited:
One of my biggest problems with B&S filters is not just the diminutive size (or the even more diminutive filter element inside the small canister) but their cost is high ... unbelievably high for what you get.

On the other hand, Supertech filters are $2-3 each and Purolators are perhaps $1 more ... and you are getting a lot more surface area.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
One of my biggest problems with B&S filters is not just the diminutive size (or the even more diminutive filter element inside the small canister) but their cost is high ... unbelievably high for what you get.

On the other hand, Supertech filters are $2-3 each and Purolators are perhaps $1 more ... and you are getting a lot more surface area.

Exactly.. +1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back