Log Splitter Hydraulic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions on fluid for a log splitter?
This splitter has a Haldex 2-stage 16 GPM pump and a 5" cylinder. The splitter came with a return filter only, I added a suction filter. I've run Hydra-Tranz in it from the start (45 hours now), only because it's what I had on hand at the time. Any other suggestions or information on what works best in this kind of application?

Thanks,

What would be the difference between Hydra-Tranz and synthetic ATF or an ISO 46 fluid?

Thanks,

What does your manf. specify in terms of an ISO viscosity for your hydraulic fluid?

Hydra-Tranz has an ISO 68 viscosity rating or about a 9.5 cSt@100C or about a 30 weight.

A typical DexronIII/Mercon synthetic ATF has viscosity of about 7.5 cSt.

I prefer an ISO 46 to 68 synthetic or Blend hydraulic fluid since it contains a higher level of anti-wear additives.

Originally Posted By: Woodsroad
Any suggestions on fluid for a log splitter?
Generally any good heavy duty AW (antiwear) fluid, probalby in a "46" (ISO46) or "68" viscosity. Your system is positive displacement, that is the pump is always pumping fluid; you should let the oil warm to (OPINION) 90F at least before going to full pressure. Many people use ATF, not a bad choice really, but it, like most vehicle fluids captures and holds moisture; this is not a good characteristic for hydraulics. If you use it, change it every year or so.
Originally Posted By: Woodsroad
The splitter came with a return filter only, I added a suction filter.
Beware suction FILTER; if it is a strainer, ok. Restrictions and air ingression in inlets may destroy more pumps than anything else. Do note that your system always runs fluid through the return filter when the pump is turning, a good thing. You might look at the return filter specs and improve them; a Beta rated element, B(10)>50, should be sufficient for you. Those 25 micron paper media things are JUNK in hydraulic applications. What brand and part number is your return element?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back