2000 Ford Taurus Cam Position Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Ford Taurus, 70,000 miles, 3.0L Vulcan engine that is making "chirping" noises like a bird. The noise has been happening for some time now so I recently replaced the serpentine belt. The "chirping" noise is still there and coming from an area directly in front of the driver side firewall.

All indications are that the Cam Position Sensor is failing and should be replaced. It sounds like it might be just a matter of pulling the old sensor and replacing it with a new one but I am left wondering if it is really that easy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Brent
Mobil 1 0W-30
Pure One Filters
...and have a lot to learn!

Last edited:
the sensor is actually on the top and is not making noise. the synchronizer that takes the place of the distributer is making the noise. the install process is the same as if you were installing a distributer on an older car. might as well replace the sensor as well since you will have it off.

So is replacing the synchronizer just a matter of pulling it and installing a new one - or are there timing issues that require a more technical installation?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
the sensor is actually on the top and is not making noise. the synchronizer that takes the place of the distributer is making the noise. the install process is the same as if you were installing a distributer on an older car. might as well replace the sensor as well since you will have it off.

X2, but there is a tool to allow you to install the synchronizer correctly.

ya there is a special tool to make sure its all lined up. I have watched a few of our older techs do this job and they just mark it like you would when you yank a distributer out of an old SBF.

That is what I do, but if you haven't done them yet and don't want to mess with cam position codes......get the tool.

If you go to taurusclub.com, you'll get all the detail you need on this well-known problem.

It taks about one hour to replace the CPS. It's somewhat difficult becuase you have to "shoehorn" a lot of wiring to the side to swap out the CPS.

You can replace it without the special tool of you mark the position of the old unit and install the new unit in the same position without disturbing the engine.

I spent about one hour this morning under the hood trying to figure out just how I'm going to get to that thing - Kestas is right, there is a wire bundle going right over the top of Cam Position Synchronizer and I'm not too sure how to get that out of the way.

If I follow my usual method, I'll research this problem on the internet for a couple of days and then fix it. Thanks for the advice!

757guy

I just did this to my 2000 ford taurus. Two things to think about.

1 If you are going to buy an aftermarket part, please buy the cardone rebuilt or new cardone. The reman one is 60.00(part number 30-S2600L) the new one is 81.00(part number 84-S2600) from autozone. I quess what I am really saying is stay away from anything made by dorman when replacing Ford Camshaft Positon sensors.

2 This can be done without the special tool. Just mark everything with permanent marker before removing the sensor.

Here is a link pertaining to the dorman CPS
http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53152

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back