Shaeffer oil - Toyota 3.5L cold engine piston slap

Status
Not open for further replies.
A short time ago I posted about loud piston slap knock/rapping on cold weather start up till engine warms up.
Seems to be a pretty common problem with the 3.5L.Though my other car with the 3.5L doesn't have a problem...yet.
Was very loud with Amsoil 0w30.I went back to conventional and it's there but much quieter.
I like using synthetic oil.
Would the moly in Schaeffer's 5w30 oil with all that moly be as quiet or quieter than conventional oil in my 3.5L RX 350?

You're going to have to try it to find out. Specific oils will act differently for different people. Schaeffers make very good oil, and it wouldn't surprise me if it did help.

Thanks for the replies,guys.
In an earlier thread I posted about this,it was said to be some sort of piston slap if I remember correctly.A knocking/rapping noise on cold idle and gets a bit louder when in gear.Once metals warm up and expand,the engine sound is normal.It's said that the noise doesn't hurt the engine in any way on a few forums.

Originally Posted By: daman
Or is it a lifter tick?

It's a rapid knock/rap.Not a lifter tick.

Oil will neither cure or cause piston slap. Also no matter which oil you go with will have any effect over the life of your engine in regard to piston slap. What ever oil you like, use it and enjoy the ride as much as you can with the noise.

Originally Posted By: Colt
In an earlier thread I posted about this,it was said to be some sort of piston slap if I remember correctly.A knocking/rapping noise on cold idle and gets a bit louder when in gear.Once metals warm up and expand,the engine sound is normal.It's said that the noise doesn't hurt the engine in any way on a few forums.

That is how piston slap behaves, and yes its harmless. I'm just surprised that you can tell a difference with different oils. The mechanism that causes piston slap just isn't very sensitive to oil- its a fairly large clearance (piston skirt-to-cylinder that gets closed quickly when the piston rocks on the wrist pin at TDC. The oil that is in that gap would have to be *really* thick to alter the sound, IMO.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

That is how piston slap behaves, and yes its harmless. I'm just surprised that you can tell a difference with different oils. The mechanism that causes piston slap just isn't very sensitive to oil- its a fairly large clearance (piston skirt-to-cylinder that gets closed quickly when the piston rocks on the wrist pin at TDC. The oil that is in that gap would have to be *really* thick to alter the sound, IMO.

I've been an Amsoil user(Preferred Customer) for quite awhile.When I went to SSO 0w30,the noise was louder.After a few hundred miles,even reading that the noise is not harming the engine,I dumped $75 worth of SSO and went with dino and the engine was definitely quieter.Rapping was still there but better than half the volume.
A few others posted and said they had the same issue with synthetic oil.Seems some of the 3.5L's doesn't like synthetics.
I figured maybe a high moly oil would help somehow.

FWIW I've used oils with higher Moly like Havoline and oils with little to no Moly like Valvoline in my car and I've noticed zero difference in the amount of cold piston slap that my car has.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
FWIW I've used oils with higher Moly like Havoline and oils with little to no Moly like Valvoline in my car and I've noticed zero difference in the amount of cold piston slap that my car has.

Thanks ThirdeYe,I guess I'll give it one more try with Amsoil and try 5w30 ASL next time.If that doesn't quiet the cold start down to dino level,I'll stay with dino.

I've tried Amsoil ASL as well, no difference here. But maybe you'll have better luck than I did. I've just learned to live with it, as annoying as it is.
55.gif

I've tried Amsoil ASL as well, no difference here. But maybe you'll have better luck than I did. I've just learned to live with it, as annoying as it is.
55.gif

You're killing my hopes!!!!
grin2.gif

Fortunately,it's only when the engine is cold and gone when warmed up.

55.gif

grin2.gif

Engine design is the problem, not oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1
55.gif

grin2.gif

Engine design is the problem, not oil.

True.
I can't understand why all the 3.5L Toyota engines don't have this problem.You would think it would.Same engines.

Most chevys have Piston Knock in the early to mid 2000s but for some reason some don't. It's a mystery my son.

Had this noise on my 3.0L mitsu motor in a dodge R/T 2 door. went away with making sump 2 qt 10w-40 mobil clean and the rest 5w-30. Then I had luck with motul ester 5w-30 bmw LL oil. PAO will make worse IMO if it doesnt have a >15% ester.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Had this noise on my 3.0L mitsu motor in a dodge R/T 2 door. went away with making sump 2 qt 10w-40 mobil clean and the rest 5w-30. Then I had luck with motul ester 5w-30 bmw LL oil. PAO will make worse IMO if it doesnt have a >15% ester.

The Critic has a thread on Nissan requiring ester oil on some models and mentions Ester oil cures some start up knocking noises.
In my case,would ester oil help and are there any 5w30 API SM synthetic ester oils available?
Or do I have to use an non API SL ester oil?Redline,Motul?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back