FILTER change poll...run em' twice???

Status
Not open for further replies.
23.gif

Like all things good, it's run it's course.

Guys, I kinda glanced thru the previous 5 pages and im a guy that changes the filter every oil change, but on the other side, i have cut filters open after 8k runs and they look fine to the eye and have never noticed hot oil pressure falling or anything. I would think on most filters, that dont have an internal bypass valve, if the filter was anywhere near plugging up, you would notice hot oil pressure drop a little. I own three chevy trucks that all take the PL24011 or ph3980 filters, all have oil pressure gauges. I may be wrong about this but you would think there would be some difference.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
If filter media deteriorates with time, why don't we all change the fuel filter every 6 months too??

You don't???
lol.gif

The more important detail that most should pay attention to here is that using a top tier, fine filtering filter is a waste if you're doing short OCI's. You're not into the advanced filtering capability until the thing is past its half life. If you're dumping the sump in a contracted/compressed manner in time/mileage (our "peace of mind" and "exceed the need" mentality) then you're doing yourself a disservice by NOT using the filter over more than one OCI. If you insist on changing it out every 3-5k, then don't waste your money. Get a $2.xx-$3.xx filter and be happy that you're doing everything that you should. The same principle applies to the cheaper filter (loading profile) ..but it's more a matter of "less wasteful economics" at that point.

Oil fatigues with usage. Filters tend to fatigue with cold start miles. In some cases those two lifespans are pretty much the same. The divergence occurs with higher mileage where oxidation and other influences will fatigue oil ..but the filter is untouched for the most part. That is, outside of fuel enrichment ..and purely from the gross loading of the filter standpoint, most other additions to the media trappings are "also ran a distant 2nd".

Since you replied to me, I'll add again that I do 7k OCIs.
New filter (Pure One Gold) and RP 5w20.
I'm confident I'm doing well with it and don't feel it's a waste of money or resources.
Cheers!

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
That does it. I'm runing my filter a third time (15K)!!!

I just re-used the Ecotec filter for the 3rd time! Last oc was about 1000mi, factory fill to 3500 miles. Going forward, this filter made for 10k+ will see under 6k total.

After that, it's 1 year and out, after two changes of synth.

Originally Posted By: PurplePride
Since you replied to me, I'll add again that I do 7k OCIs.
New filter (Pure One Gold) and RP 5w20.
I'm confident I'm doing well with it and don't feel it's a waste of money or resources.
Cheers!

No ..I posted, you were just the last in line.

If you're happy, that's all that counts. For all I know you're doing 9-12 months for that 7k and are getting as much money and mileage (not the distance measurement sense) out of both as one would sensibly ask.

It was more or less to index perception on what does "best" really mean. It's often as misapplied as the term "racing grade".

Last call! "" You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here."" I've learned a lot & hope you have too! Great stuff, spread the word.
10.gif

very interesting stuff guys
thumbsup2.gif
all of it sounds perfectly logical to me i'm just unsure of how long the filter will actually be good for. i'm doing 8k OCIs right now with PP and P1 filter. mostly highway miles with a few short city trips after the car's already warmed up. do u think the filter would hold up for 2 oil changes (16k miles)?

I have some dirty underwear I have had on for a week. I am going to go shower then put them on again. They seem nowhere near their capacity to trap urine and fecal particles and indeed seem to be collecting more fecal matter the more I wear them so they MUST be filter my bodily wastes better. I'll continue to do this despite the fact that underwear are ridiculously cheap and easy to replace and, by changing them regularly, I would ensure they are always clean.

Quote:
I have some dirty underwear I have had on for a week. I am going to go shower then put them on again.

No. More like you're changing them twice a day to keep that "fresh" feeling. You know the kind. It's the kind of "fresh" that's behind the REAL reason that Charmin is so squeezably soft.
56.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
very interesting stuff guys
thumbsup2.gif
all of it sounds perfectly logical to me i'm just unsure of how long the filter will actually be good for. i'm doing 8k OCIs right now with PP and P1 filter. mostly highway miles with a few short city trips after the car's already warmed up. do u think the filter would hold up for 2 oil changes (16k miles)?

You definitely qualify.

Honda specs being the exception to any quality filter(high line), or oil, change theory/rule. Honda says any filter meeting spec, any spec oil, every other time filter change up to 1 year OCI or OLM. Following Honda could mean up to 2 years total on any filter meeting Honda spec. That includes, the nothing special Honda A-02 filter.

I'm running a P1 PL14610 to 1 year or OLM, (likely 1 year) on 3.0L Accord. Likely change the filter at 1 year and cut open, but it probably could be pushed to 2 years. Cost benefit and other practical installation/usage reasons, not much point though, IMO.

Originally Posted By: saaboc

errr....my head hurts. Never mind, I already put the 5k used filter back on w/fresh M1 10w/30. Hopefully my nxt oc will be before 2013. Thanks for contributing.

Ps - some of you nd to learn how to play nice
06.gif

saaboc:

The M1 filter is robust, high capacity, and has syn media. Your own observation is that the oil is clean and lovely. Even teeny-weeny particles in minor quantity would make the oil look dark.

You did good.

saaboc -- "hopefully my nxt oc will be before 2013" LOL. joking aside -- everybody has his own way of doing things. what kaboomba said.re-use won't cause any issues. have a good day.

I'm a glutton or punishment, so here's another opportunity for the peanut gallery to spill beer on me.

I must confess that while my 3yr/5k old M1 did pour out of the pan with a nice, almost translucent, amber hue...but it's a lot darker looking decanted into a washer fluid bottle. I was going to let it "mellow" until my yard tractor or trim mower needed an OC, but have now decided to use it only for small eng top ups. The other x3 qts are up for grabs...hey "BumpDraft2004", if you soak your head in it I guarantee an instant IQ boost, which may result in fewer skid marks for your mom to pretreat too!
crackmeup2.gif

I'm not second guessing my INFORMED decision to re-run oil filters..on the contrary, I actually just cleaned off the 9mo/5k old P1 filter from my wife's last OC (less than a month & one tank of gas ago...she helps me rotate the fleet) & AM GOING TO PUT IT BACK ON! The new P1 I'll be removing will sit on a shelf in my shed, covered w/a shop towel, quietly soaking in a fresh (not that it matters) 50/50 mix of HiMi reg/syn WMST 10w/30 until wifey racks up another 5k. I may go 3x/15k if the oci stays under a year.
19.gif

After mulling on it for a few weeks, I am now of the opinion that the optimal way to reuse an oil filter is to loosen just enough to crack the seal and drain whatever oil was held up by the filter, then wait a half hour, then tighten down again. This is what I'll be doing next time.

The goal is to remove as much of the old oil as possible WITHOUT disturbing the filter. The less agitation the better. Just clean the outside and around the adaptor to make sure you won't introduce some fresh new insolubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back