Do HID Headlights Last Longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to use my headlights in the daytime when I run two lane roads. Want to know if my stock HID headlights wear out quicker than regular headlights.

FWIW, I promised my wife I would keep them on when on two lane roads, as I've lost two friends, in two accidents within the last two weeks, on two lane roads. (Lots of two's).

From what I remember, they are supposed to be longer lasting than halogens. Not sure how much specifically though.

By the way. I am very sorry to hear of the news.......

Last edited:
I found this too

How Long Do HID Lights Last?
Most HID lights have a lifespan of approximately 2,000 hours, four times as long as most halogen lights. HID lights are more efficient when allowed to warm up; turning a HID light on and off quickly will reduce its lifespan.

I have had the HIDs on from 19K miles, now at 69K miles, and they still are going bright. no purple. HIDs are OEM from 2003. I have also heard they last 2000-3000 Hrs... The headlight switch is always in the on position, because the car turns the headlights off when you leave the car.

HID.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they usually last a lot longer, provided they are not turned on and off a lot (i.e. no more than once every 1-2 hrs or so). All light bulbs dislike that, but HIDs dislike it more AFAIK.

OK, thanks guys. Normally I would just use the Fogs in the daytime, however, my Genesis will not allow the Fogs to be on with just the parking lights. I must have my headlights on.

Will be making a run out to Roswell in a few weeks, and I like to take some of the two lane roads, like US380 in TX and NM, plus I will be on backroads in FL until I get up to Ocala so I told her that I will always use my headlights.

(One friend died in a head-on crash and the other died when a car cut him off - still sick about it).

For the price of the bulbs, they better last long. My car is 7 years old with 86k miles and I think the bulbs are original. Don't know for sure though since I just got it this year.

There's an auto position but I turn it off though since I don't want to trigger it during the day when I put up the sunshade or drive through shady areas.

Well they do last 2000hrs or more but the light output decreases to only 90% after the 1st 100hrs.

Then drops off to less then 60$ at 1500hrs...
Color also becomes more blue and later in the life of the bulb you will see colors like Purple and Pink...

I am running a DL50 bulb with a 55W ballast, and the combo produces around 5500lms/bulb

OEMs are at 3100lm/bulb
Halogens are at just over 1000lm/bulb.

My headlight design also allows for a very wide beam pattern which can easily overpower any OEM HID system on the road while putting down enough light to light up a 6lane highway like a christams tree...

Use them and dont be affraid of the bulbs burning out any time soon... most OEM HIDs run 10yrs without problems.

Only down side is the more you use them the less light they will provide, but more colorful they will become too.

5500lms??? I would say that is illegal, no matter how well its aimed. On a wet road to oncoming traffic would be 'glare city' off the tarmac, and on a two way road would be dangerous for you and them.

My '02 with 60k miles is still on its original HID bulbs/burners (D2S). I try to avoid frequent on/off action. Hard for me to tell if the light output has diminished. Color-wise, they're still pretty white.

Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
who cares...a quality set will only set you back about 65 dollars

Replacement OEM (Philips) D2S bulbs are over $100 a pair. It's not a ton of money, but it's not exactly loose change either.

Quote:

ddm-tuning.com

I don't see any D2S bulbs (or any Philips bulbs) on their site.

thats about 11000lm of light put down with a projector known for razor sharp cutoff and a very wide beam pattern..
DSC03852.jpg

I haven't noticed that HID's seem to last longer but the beam cut-off is certainly impressive and nothing beats steerable headlights.

My 1993 truck still has an original headlight bulb and high beam bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back