1987 DT466 B UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is out of an old IH S1900 truck we run on our farm. The truck is in pretty rough shape, the cab mounts are all rotted out to the point that I believe the firewall is resting on the breather tube for the engine. While driving you can see the right front tire as there is a big hole in the floor. I think the voltmeter and speedo are the only gauges that still work. I did an in-frame on the engine 5 or 6 years ago as the cylinder liners were cavitated and coolant was getting in the oil. The truck itself was in much better shape back then. The truck has a little better than 10,000 hours on it. The oil was Texaco Ursa Super Plus 15w-40 and had about 360 hours on it. Not a bad oil report though.

Al 2
Chr 0
Fe 12
Cu 17
Pb 5
Tin 1
Moly 66
Ni 0
Mang 0
Sil 0
Tit 0
Pot 2
Bor 115
Sil 3
Sod 5
Ca 2248
Mag 222
Ph 979
Zn 1224
Ba 0

SUS Vis 74
Cst Vis 14.01
Flash Pt 425
Fuel % Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insol .4

Last edited:
Like most diesels, it's obviously going to outlast the vehicle it sits in!

Nice numbers. Your reliner job apparantly did the trick; no coolant intrusion.

That is one thing that many of the owners of PSD/Navistar engines tend to neglect, and it can kill an engine in the long term. They need to religiously use the coolant additive for anti-cavitation (every 15k miles as I recall), or change coolant with a qualified product that already contains the additive in it from the manufacturer. It's not a question of if, but rather when, cavitation will eat throught the cylinders if the additive is not used.

Cavitation is obviously a "big deal" with diesels. The choice of engine coolant may have as much to do with engine longevity as oil choice.

Charlie

Tough old trucks for sure. The Texaco Ursa Super Plus was always a good oil. I use to run it in a MACK back in the early 80's back when there was a Texaco Oil Company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back