5W-20 recommended in dodge 3.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like engineers would have been smart enough to over spec the oil to the point where they could sheer to a rate they figured they wouldn't get to often and still be okay.

I'm not saying that 5W-20 will cause damage to the engine, it's just that the 3.7 and 4.7 were engineered for 5W-30 and the ONLY reason Chrysler moved to 5W-20 is to comply with CAFE which only cares about MPG and not engine protection.

Anyway :p

If 5W-30 sheers to 5W-20...then 5W-20 sheers to 5W-10...yikes! No thanks!

nope, 5w20 has shown to be very sheer stable. I believe this along with cafe alows multiple vehicles to run on 5w20s. Most of the ones on the market are on the heavier side of w20 and dont sheer much at all from what i have seen on UOAs.

Well, that's where your wrong. Most (95%) of the 5W-20 do not shear. It is a very stable oil. Now I would not take it road racing, although most NASCAR boys do their time trials on a 0W-20. But for everyday old fat man driving, I prefer the 5W-20 and even some 0W-20 over anything 30W.

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
Originally Posted By: JCM35
I'm running GC in my 3.7 Liberty. Engine is loving this stuff. Easy starts, quieter, great protection. Screw CAFE and 5W-20. 5W-30 is what you should run in the 3.7 Powertech.

There is no way that you could do anything with your vehicle on the street that 5w20 could not handle. 5w20 great protection. There is noting that gc can do that PP, synpower, and M1 in a 5w20 weight could'nt do. Probably saving a little MPG with the thinner 5w20.

The only reason Chrysler recommends 5W-20 today in the 3.7L is because of CAFE. They are skipping on protection to offer 1-2MPG better fuel economy.

Better engine protection > Fuel economy IMO. 5W-30 all the way in the 3.7 and 4.7 for that matter. I run GC which offers even greater protection.

Offers greater protection how? What facts are you basing this on? Assumption? Somebody elses completely incorrect hypothesis? You missed the 5w20 debate by years and time has proven along with UOA that 5w20's are very durable oils. If there was any chance that an oil could remotely hurt an engine manufacturers would not recommend it. And you keep stating that the motor is engineered for 5w30. Explain this to me if you would.

Last edited:
Deep breath JCM35, deeeeeeep breaths.
grin2.gif

Johnny:On an imformation rich site it amazes me that some can ignore the wealth of it. Hows retirement treating you?

From day one the engineers at Chrysler have recommended 5W-30. Like I said earlier, the ONLY reason Chrysler switched to 5W-20 is to get CAFE off it's back. I'm sure if you talked to one of the engineers he/she would say that 5W-30 is what the Powertech engines prefer. Where am I getting my info from? Dodge and Jeep communities.

I'm sure 5W-20 is just fine, but there is a reason why the engineers at Chrysler recommended 5W-30 when the Powertech engines were released.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree?
12.gif

Last edited:
They probably recommended 5W-30 when they were released because at the time 5W-20 oils weren't up to snuff yet, I know the 4.7 has been around for well over a decade. I don't trust forums "dedicated" so much to each car. Many of the people over on j-body.org insist on 2K or 3K mile OCI on Mobil 1 10W-30 or 5W-30. I said I was running a 5-6K OCI on PP 5W-30 and it was like I'd said I was going to dump sugar in my engine.

EDIT: Of course, but we can still discuss it.. I'm not upset or anything like that just having a good natured discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
They probably recommended 5W-30 when they were released because at the time 5W-20 oils weren't up to snuff yet, I know the 4.7 has been around for well over a decade. I don't trust forums "dedicated" so much to each car. Many of the people over on j-body.org insist on 2K or 3K mile OCI on Mobil 1 10W-30 or 5W-30. I said I was running a 5-6K OCI on PP 5W-30 and it was like I'd said I was going to dump sugar in my engine.

EDIT: Of course, but we can still discuss it.. I'm not upset or anything like that just having a good natured discussion.

You should of seen the riot over at one Jeep forum when I told them I switched to GC. LOL Your engine is gonna blow up. Hahaha. But yeah, good discussion. I wanna learn :)

I agree screw cafe.... But i would also use the 5w20 it gets to places much faster and usually a dino oil with less of a spread has less viscosity improvers and will stay more stable for a longer time.. 5w20 works well there are a lot of engines running it now and i see no problems with them.
I have seen a couple of engines with low miles with bearing problems here for rebuilds destroyed due to heavier oil.. I am not however saying it was 5w30 actually it was 20w50 in at least one case for sure.. but i have learned that todays oil performs excellent and i always tell people that they should always use the lowest viscosity allowed for best protection especially start up but also lighter oil has less drag and circulates faster and of course runs cooler.
When an engine has a lot of miles and starts to show signs of wear then you may be able to use 5w30 and even a hm 5w20 or 5w30 to improve oil consumption.. I have heard from my oil distributor that 5w10 and 0w10 is going to be out soon

I have been using 5w20 in my 280hp 96 explorer with the 302 for 124grand. Mostly valvoline 5w20. Have not had an issue. Pulled the valve covers and it was shockingly clean. Father used castrol gtx in 10w30 and 5w30 in it before. Engine has 200g total. 5w20 is good stuff.

i use 50:50 mix of 5w20:5w30.
5w20 is excellent stuff, group 2+, and really thins out the 30 weight nicely. i use conventional 5w20 (it's already almost synthetic) mixed with synthetic 5w30. the 3.7l engine was designed by Daimler/Benz and is a true racing engine, not just a regular Dodge, and in USA it sometimes comes even with a lifetime warranty. the designers built it to go a MINIMUM of 150,000 miles, with just normal maintenance. feed it the oil it needs.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
i use 50:50 mix of 5w20:5w30.
5w20 is excellent stuff, group 2+, and really thins out the 30 weight nicely. i use conventional 5w20 (it's already almost synthetic) mixed with synthetic 5w30. the 3.7l engine was designed by Daimler/Benz and is a true racing engine, not just a regular Dodge, and in USA it sometimes comes even with a lifetime warranty. the designers built it to go a MINIMUM of 150,000 miles, with just normal maintenance. feed it the oil it needs.

a true racing engine?

one of the worst sounding, least enjoyable racing engines i've had the privilege to wind out... better than the 4.0L but hardly a racing engine

From day one the engineers at Chrysler have recommended 5W-30. Like I said earlier, the ONLY reason Chrysler switched to 5W-20 is to get CAFE off its back. I'm sure if you talked to one of the engineers he/she would say that 5W-30 is what the Powertech engines prefer. Where am I getting my info from? Dodge and Jeep communities.

I'm sure 5W-20 is just fine, but there is a reason why the engineers at Chrysler recommended 5W-30 when the Powertech engines were released.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree?
12.gif

I love to agree to disagree. It's all in fun and besides, we are just talking about oil, not heart surgery.

So lets carry this even further back. I remember when 5W-30 came, oh those rascals and their EPA rules, 5W-30 will be the end of good oils. I remember when 10W-30 and 10W-40 first came out back in the 50's. Oh those rascals, they can't make an oil do those things they say they do, rubbish. I have a good friend that should have retired from farming 20 years ago, but he can still climb upon his tractor. Runs a very large potato farm here in WI. Winter its either 10W or 20W and in the summer it's 30W or 40W. Not going to use none of that new thin 15W-40 junk.

Now 0W-20 is starting to come out and I can't wait when 0W-10 is introduced for factory fill. All heck will break loose.

If you use 5w20, of course your engine will be clean. What you need to be worried about in the long term is wear, not sludge.

A high quality 5w20 in an engine that is actually made for 5w20 is ideal but of course CAFE means some car makers recommend 5w20 for cars that are not made for it. To the car makers, it should be "good enough" and if that's all you want then more power to you.

the 3.7l engine was designed by Daimler/Benz and is a true racing engine, not just a regular Dodge,

The 3.7 is a 6-cyl version of the 4.7 V8, which was developed by Chrysler long before the Daimler takeover.

the 3.7l engine was designed by Daimler/Benz and is a true racing engine, not just a regular Dodge.

I suggest you do a little research.

Read this:
linky

Then this:
linky 2

I'm running Amsoil ASM 0W20 in my 08 3.7L Liberty. No problems to report. I'm still waiting to see all the Fords, Chryslers, Hondas, Tototas, etc. scattered dead along the road from the xxW-20 oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back