What makes some oils handle methanol better ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes some oils like ULX-110 and Brad Penns able to stand up to methanol dilution better than others ? Is it additives or the base stock design, both of these being mineral based etc. Even Redline has a good rep amongst drag racers.

Good old esters
55.gif

Quote:
the base stock design

It's mainly the mix of base stocks.

You try and include heavier cuts of base stocks and certain polymers to resist film srength reduction when the alchy thins things out.

Last edited:
molakule -- "... heavier cuts of base stocks and certain polymers ...". are you at liberty to expand on this in terms that a layman can understand? thanks for your comments.

I can tell you that Pennzoil uses a higher VI base stock in all of their mineral racing oils, and they use a lot of what is called bright stock. It is very shear stable. The rest is the type of additives they use. At one time many years ago, the number one selling racing oil for sprint cars, alcohol, and nitro dragsters was Pennzoil's racing oils. Good synthetics have replaced almost all of the mineral racing oils. Pennzoil still has theirs and Brad Penn is doing a good job of reproducing the old Kendall formula.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Base Stocks.
For methanol run Schaeffers 20-50 racing oil 100% paraffin base 191 will work better.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/191.pdf

I see they also sell this Micron Moly in a straight 40W. IS the additive package the same as the 191 you listed? I'd like to see the details if they exist.
VOA of recent samples or maybe UOA???

Do you know if the 40W formula is the same as it was 5 years ago when I bought some from you? Same base same additives?

Fantastic replies. Bright Stock is also Group 1 is it not ? IS mineral used because its cheaper, or its natural ability to withstand certain situations ?

Ethylene Glycol also being a alcohol (???) why cant engine oils be made to resist coolant ingress better ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back