Has anyone used Cheap ceramic kitchen knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new sale paper arrived from Harbor Freight, and inside, hidden among all the tools & supplies, was an ad for ceramic kitchen knives. "6-inch Chef's" reduced to $~17 from $20, plus a 5" utility & 3" paring at comparably lower/reduced prices. Yesterday I saw a TV ad for a similar sized ceramic knife(Yoshi?) Hmm...convergence, stars aligning, meant to be?
grin2.gif

I understand the limitations of ceramic(no heavy duty chopping, plastic/wooden cutting board only, etc) & have been curious for some time. Looks like a decent way to try it, & risk less than $20. Found a few reviews on the HF knives so far, all positive. If I can get to the big city before the sale ends I'll probably get one.

Does anyone here have any experience with ceramic knives, cheap or otherwise?

Here's a link to the largest HF knife- note the handle/blade union, that's why I put chef's knife in ""
wink.gif
:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98186

All I can say is people get hurt and cut themselves more with cheap dull knives than with a decent sharp knife. However I have no experience with the knives you are asking about. If you want a good cheaper Chefs knife I can recommend Forschner. They are good and not expensive like the top German knives. I worked in a kitchen for 8 years and saw the damage from cheap dull knives. Again I have no experience with these but I do with the Forschners.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
All I can say is people get hurt and cut themselves more with cheap dull knives than with a decent sharp knife. However I have no experience with the knives you are asking about. If you want a good cheaper Chefs knife I can recommend Forschner. They are good and not expensive like the top German knives. I worked in a kitchen for 8 years and saw the damage from cheap dull knives. Again I have no experience with these but I do with the Forschners.

Major +1

Insted of going out and buying a set a walmart, save for a month or two and get these:
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=13227&view=a

Great starter knife set, that you will be able to pass on to your kids if you take care of them.
My dad gave me his Henckels, and I bought these to use everyday.
Buy J.A. Henckels or nothing!
49.gif

Not a fan of cheap knives. They make kitchen tasks much more of a pain than they ought to be. I spent 100 dollars on a Wusthof Chef's Knife a few years back, and it gets used daily. I don't put much stock into knife sets, one size fits all is my motto. One good chef's knife, a filet knife, and a few steak knives and you're all set.

Never dealt with ceramic knives, can they be sharpened like normal knives?

Cheap knives are what you get a cheap knife Wusthof classic are what I like and last you a life time.

I use Ceramic knives and steal knives but prefer ceramic over steal knives. The edge of a ceramic knife is incredibly sharp, more so than any steal knife that I have.

With that being said, I would say to buy quality over price when choosing a knife. All ceramic knives I have purchased have be made as one off purcahses as you'll be hard pressed to find a set of them.

Originally Posted By: dla
I use Ceramic knives and steal knives but prefer ceramic over steal knives. The edge of a ceramic knife is incredibly sharp, more so than any steal knife that I have.

With that being said, I would say to buy quality over price when choosing a knife. All ceramic knives I have purchased have be made as one off purcahses as you'll be hard pressed to find a set of them.

I am sorry. But you know nothing about knifes. . . .

Why would you say that? Have you ever done a side by side comparison of knives? I'm speaking from hands on experience of using both products.

I suggest you review what ceramic knives are really about by visiting a website like this.

http://www.metrokitchen.com/about_kyocera

Taken from their website:

Advantages of Ceramic Knives

Ultra-Sharp Long Life Blade - Holds its edge much longer than steel. Lasts many months or years without sharpening.

Stain and Rust Proof - Impervious to the food acids which discolor steel products.

No Metallic Taste or Smell - Maintains the fresh taste of food. Won't brown fruits and vegetables.

Easy to Clean - Non-stick ceramic surface makes for easy clean-up.

Easy to Use -Lightweight and perfect balance make it a pleasure to use.

Think the steal edge is stronger? Wrong! "high-tech ceramic called zirconium oxide (also called zirconia). This material, which is second in hardness only to diamond, was originally developed for industrial applications where metal components failed. Zirconium oxide is extremely hard, wear resistant, and chemically inert. Zirconium oxide has a hardness of 8.2 mohs (vs. steel at 5-6 mohs and diamond at 10 mohs)."

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Major +1

Insted of going out and buying a set a walmart, save for a month or two and get these:
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=13227&view=a

Great starter knife set, that you will be able to pass on to your kids if you take care of them.
My dad gave me his Henckels, and I bought these to use everyday.
49.gif

Good set...but you can get a cheaper starter set at Bed, bath and Beyond....

Calphon also makes some pretty good sets too....

Originally Posted By: dave123
Cheap knives are what you get a cheap knife Wusthof classic are what I like and last you a life time.

Still the best brand out there....

I've just tried this brand, and they seem to be good so far...

Best cheap knives I have worked with. Not as good as the German knives by any means but I think they are definitely good enough for most peoples home use. In a pro kitchen they will wear down faster just because its softer metal and you have to sharpen them more often. But at most homes this is not an issue.

Forgot about F. **** another very good knife for the money! A little more expensive than Forschners but worth it I think if the price is not too high.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

49.gif

What is the word I'm looking for? Diluted brand? Something like that.

Henckels has some fine knives, but in recent years I've seen many cheap quality knives with their name, now mostly from our #1 import partner.

I'd qualify that as "Henckels knives that are made in Germany."

I haven't seen this low quality stuff from Wusthof, they seem to be sticking with the good stuff.

I like to handle a knife before buying it, to be sure I'll be happy using it. I haven't ordered one on-line before. Mind you, I'm not into knives except for a few good ones for the kitchen. Others here have done more research than I have.

Back on topic, I tried a ceramic knife at a friend's house recently. It worked fine, but to me seemed to cut no better than a steel knife. Of course, a steel knife needs to be sharpened quite often, but I don't mind.

Last thing I want to happen while I'm using a knife is for it to break. This has happened to me several times with cheap steel knives - they break at the handle insertion. Very close calls with injury.

From last year I have used the ceramic knife,and i found that the knife is very easy to use,at the same time i also recommend my other friends to use the knife,i remember I bought the knife on Pandawill,in the last two days I found more kinds of knives are provided there,if you are interested in.please check

http://www.pandawill.com/index.php?main_...on=0&page=4

I was fortunate enough to get a couple of $350 Japanese knives at a LARGE discount. They were the most awesomely sharp and useful knives I've ever used.....until Wife bought me a ceramic knife from Wal-Mart.

The WM ceramic is easily as sharp as the expensive knives and the only hinderance is that the blade is only 5". Sharp as a razor blade, no rust, reasonable balance, and cheap. In this instance cheap is a description of price only, not quality.

I am TOTALLY open to getting another ceramic knife when the requirement presents itself.

As an aside, I can't imagine doing anything with my knives that would cause them to break. And if I DID happen to do something that would break them, I wouldn't much complain when they did. Do ceramic knives shatter when they hit a tile floor? I wouldn't think much of them if they did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back