PP 10W-30 in a 5W-20 Ford Ranger 3.0l v6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PP 5W-20 seems to contribute to a fair amount of oil consumption. I have noticed the PP 10W-30 is thicker than MC 5w-20 and thinner than the MC 5w30. Will I be ok with the PP 10W-30? I have noticed the PP line is the thinnest of all the oil brands on the shelf. There seems to be NO real standards for viscosity. High Mileage oil like Max-Life in a 5w-30 is as thick as a 10w-40 is some other brands. Seems like there should be tighter regulation.

10-30 will work well in your 3.0 Ranger. My sons 91 3.0 Ranger has 339,000 miles at 10,000 mile OCIs all on 10-30 M1. Those Ford 3.0s are tough engines.

The following are the numbers for the three oils in question.

So does the PP really fall in between the two MC oils, OR am I interpreting this wrong.

OIL TYPE
cSt@40
cSt@100
Viscosity index

PP 10w-30

MC Semi 5w-20

MC Semi 5w-30

I am very confused. Also will it be ok at temps around 15-20 deg and above?

You will ok with PP 10w30. I used to run it all year round in my
GS here in Ohio. We often over around the 15-20 deg mark in winter for several days. The 3.0 Vulcan is a excellent engine. Only thing I seen on them lately is front cover leaking coolant on them. Back on topic, I believe PP 10w30 is closer to a 5w30 anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I am really leaning towards the 10W-30 PP as it appears to be right in the middle of the two MC oils. I just can not wrap my head around the fact that the PP 10W-30 is thinner than the MC 5W-30. How can this be?

lambrose - YOu have your numbers reversed in your chart.

For really cold starting, the first number of an oil is important. This is 'W' rating. It is measured at 0 deg F.
Is this a concern of yours, or only a warmed up engine?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
lambrose - YOu have your numbers reversed in your chart.

For really cold starting, the first number of an oil is important. This is 'W' rating. It is measured at 0 deg F.
Is this a concern of yours, or only a warmed up engine?

No just overall viscosity. The PP 5W-20 is leading to some oil consumption. As I researched oils, I found the PP to be at least 1 vis class thinner than oll others, (PP 5W-20 is thinner than most 5W-20's, PP 5-W30 is thinner than most 5W-20's, and so on). I just want to stop the oil consumption that comes with the PP 5W-20.

It seems that there is no real regulation in the oil market. You can print any oil vis range on the bottle you want.

You can use PP 10w30, but i'm not sure that will solve your oil usage problem. PP 10w30 is more like a 5w30 on paper.

I'd try the Motorcraft 5w30. It's inexpensive and quite a bit thicker at operating temp while still giving excellent cold flow properties.

I changed the oil today with 10W-30 PP and I must admit it runs smooth and noticably quieter. I will keep a close eye on the oil consumption issue.

I still do not see how all these oils get the API viscosity cert they get being so different.

Originally Posted By: lambrose

I still do not see how all these oils get the API viscosity cert they get being so different.

Something I always wonder too. I debated for quite a few days over buying PP5w30 vs 10w30. I ended up getting 5w30 beacuse its winter right now and the 5w just went in, but for summer, if the 10w30 is much like a 5w30, I feel it may be too thin for my old Saturn (If I still have it by then)

But yes, always in the back of my mind.

I don't really know how to explain it, but often, a 5W-30 oil will be thicker at 100C than a 10W-30. Eg., M1 10W-30 is 10.0 cst, but the 5W-30 is 11.3 cst.

I chalk it up to the fact that a 5W-30 has to 'stretch' farther to reach it's targets that a 10W-30; so it ends up being 'further away' at each 'end' of the range it is in. A 5W-30 has to have more VII's in it; and they may not behave 'predictably'.

maybe the 10w30 has less breakdown so they can afford to make it a little thinner to start with?

I reviewed all the info on this site and saw the viscosity chart, which is impossible to interpret by the way. I see that the ranges do not overlap as far as I can tell. So how does an oil that has higher viscosity at both 40 and 100 degrees than a 10W-30 get a 5W-30 API rating. I assume that at some point below 40 it thins to a 5W whereas the 10W stops at a 10. But at what temp is that. I assume the manufacturers do not provide this info.

I am really confused, but I am learning quite a lot from this site. There is a wealth of knowlege here.

The PP 5W-20 seems to contribute to a fair amount of oil consumption. I have noticed the PP 10W-30 is thicker than MC 5w-20 and thinner than the MC 5w30. Will I be ok with the PP 10W-30? I have noticed the PP line is the thinnest of all the oil brands on the shelf. There seems to be NO real standards for viscosity. High Mileage oil like Max-Life in a 5w-30 is as thick as a 10w-40 is some other brands. Seems like there should be tighter regulation.

How much consumption were you seeing? When I switched my Taurus with the same engine over from MC 5w20 to PP 5w20 I was burning 1qt every 3-4k for the first 2 10k OCIs. It is now down to less than a quart for the full 10k.

About 1 qt over 3000-4000 miles, maybe slightly less. However I do not want to use an oil that contributes to consumption. The truck only has 55000 miles on it so it should not use any oil. The PP 5W-20 is really thin and being synthetic penetrates better than conventional or so it would seem. The PP 10W-30 seems to really quiet thinge down and the truck just seems to be smoother.

About 1 qt over 3000-4000 miles, maybe slightly less. However I do not want to use an oil that contributes to consumption. The truck only has 55000 miles on it so it should not use any oil. The PP 5W-20 is really thin and being synthetic penetrates better than conventional or so it would seem. The PP 10W-30 seems to really quiet thinge down and the truck just seems to be smoother.

I started that regime on mine at 45k. It now has 130k.

PP 10W-30??? Year Round???

If so how is the mileage. I have always assumed the difference would be negligible at best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back