Just bought grandma a new .38

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it has been increasingly hard for us to find ammo for Grandma's Charter Arms Undercover chambered in .32 S&W Long.
She finally decided to upgrade to a .38 SPL.
So we went to the gun show last week and pick up a
S&W 637 Chambered in .38 SPL +P. It's the Aluminum frame airweight snub. She also wanted the Crimson Trace Laser grips too. The whole thing cost us $600. It was $440 for the gun, and $160.00 for the grips. Do you think we got a good deal ?
It was the best price we could find around here.
Especially for the grips, Crimson Trace grips seem to go for at least $250.

Also grandma is 74 years old, but she has been shooting for a long time, and can handle a .38 just fine.

Lets hear your thoughts,
Justin

IF it's in good, clean condition with no corrosion or deposits, good, even finish, NO CRACKS in the frame, and sharp rifling, I would say you did OK. It sounds like a good value. I hope she enjoys it and never has to USE it!

To granma: Happy shooting!

Best

K

does she carry? cant those be a bit light for grandma to use effectively? Maybe at 74 it is ok, but at 80 it may not be... Its a lot of money to not be able to use it for a LONG time.

Anyway, if she is happy with it, GREAT!

My Brother in law has turned into a gun freak. He showed me pictures of his 80 year old mom shooting at the gun range as well.

Can't tell about the deal you got. But good for your Grandma....

I would like to see the look on the face of someone trying to rob her looking down the barrel of that gun.
39.gif

The price you paid is reasonable and fair. Not what I would call a good deal but rather a fair deal.

Those laser grips are a winner for self-protection. I got a pair for my .45 Commander and it improved my time and accuracy a lot. Plus, it's a no brainer for low light conditions. It also makes up for eyesight issues as people get older.

Make sure you get to the range and put some rounds through the gun, not only for sighting it in. I've seen dishonest dealers sell problem guns at gunshows, and you need to make sure it functions properly.

Justin,

You and your grandma did fine with her prchase!! You both bought a premium grade revolver that'll last longer than you will. I hope you bought her a box of good hollowpoints. For lighter recoil stay with a lighter grain bullet. Since you have a lightweight frame it's gonna buck when it goes off. I assume it's considered a house gun so personal protection is going to be no farther than maybe 10 feet. Make sure she get some practice although at her age she might be pretty experienced.

My persoanl house gun is a Taurus 38 special lite weight stoked with PMC "Tubulars" 66 grain. Old hat ammo but I feel pretty confident with this copper bullet.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
My persoanl house gun is a Taurus 38 special lite weight stoked with PMC "Tubulars" 66 grain. Old hat ammo but I feel pretty confident with this copper bullet.

FYI, those old tubular 66 grainers have a TERRIBLE reputation as a man stopper. I would ditch those pronto if I was you. Look at Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, Winchester PDX1, Federal Hydra-Shock, or Corbon DPX.

bubbatime,

Yeah I know as you told me their considered lousey by others too.
Still I have them as well as the others you stated but I still love the tubulars.

Durango

Spear Gold Dots, and Remington Golden Sabers are all I carry in my Glocks. And Golden Sabers exclusively in the Kel-Tec.

JustinC25,

With that ombo you have your prettymuch ready for global melt-down! Your lucky being able to have large capacity mags. All we Californians can have are those lousey 10 round mags.

I like your Kel-Tec :). Nie little gun to carry with you on the evening walks. I put mine away since they declared it to be a saturday night special if I remember my news in pas years. It's now retired to my safe.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back