2010 Nissan Altima 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for suggestions on what oil and how many miles I should be changing?
I have used Mobil, Mobil 1 and Amsoil (ASL) all in 5W-30 in the past. Currently the car has 2200 miles on the factory fill, I am planning on changing at 3 to 4,000 miles. I have a free oil change at the dealer for the first one and I will probably do that first and then change myself after that.
Thanks

All those oils you listed should work well for you. Only UOAs will tell you for sure what your engine will like best. Generally 5k on quality dino and 5-8k syn are fine.

The QR Nissan engines don't do well on extended oci. Your UOA doesn't make up for the number of consumption problems I see with these engines when people don't change their oil regularly.

Your manual is the first good read on oil type & change interval. I use the factory severe OCI using dino & the normal using a synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
The QR Nissan engines don't do well on extended oci.

I believe that was with the old QR that was used in the 3rd generation Altimas. There were knows problems that have since been corrected and no longer a problem with the 4th generation models. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Altima#Recall_Issue for more information.

I've been running 6,000 mile OCIs on my 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5 S. I changed out the factory oil at 4,000 miles and used Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 for the two OCIs that followed. The engine ran well with it. I'm currently running Castrol Edge 5W-30 and it seems to like that as well, especially during the Michigan winter we're in the middle of. I have a 10-quart stock of Edge that I'll use for my next two OCIs. I would also second rudolphna's Pennzoil Platinum recommendation. I've been running the 5W-20 weight in my wife's 2007 Saturn Vue and it's 3.5 L Honda-built L66 engine seems to like it.

I probably don't have to say this, but use a good filter too. Like my 2008, the 2010 calls for a "shorty" like the K&N HP-1008, Mobil 1 M1-108, WIX 51365, etc. But there's enough clearance to use the slightly longer variety like the K&N HP-1010, Mobil 1 MI-110, WIX 51356. I myself have been using DENSO 150-1010 filters and have a few PureOne PL14610 filters that I'm going to use next.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
The QR Nissan engines don't do well on extended oci. Your UOA doesn't make up for the number of consumption problems I see with these engines when people don't change their oil regularly.

Any idea as to why oil consumption is an issue with extended intervals?

Is it a problem only for those who do extended drains on conventional, or is it also a problem for those who run extended drains on synthetic?

Does the VQ35DE suffer from the same problem?

Thanks guys,
The way I read the recall it said screws holding an intake valve assembly would come loose and find there way into the engine that would cause oil consumption. I didn't see anything about extended OCI. We had an 03 with 85000 miles on it with no issues of this. Only problem we ever had was the throttle body threw a high idle code, I cleaned it myself and then had to take it in to have the computer relearn stuff and that fixed it.

Once free, the screws can be ingested into the engine via the intake ports, damaging cylinder walls and leading to rapid oil consumption. The longer the OCI, the greater the consumption.

I have owned 2) QR25DE, one in a 03 Altima, mercifully it was totalled off, I had no faith in that engine. I love my 05 X-trail QR25DE, (modified the torque on it for SUV use) Great engine. My all time favorite is the B2000 (the 1957 cc model back in Datsun days, the Datsun 1400 cc which gave me 54 mpg Canadian gallon, and the infamous 2400Zi in my 87)

On my QR25DE I did 3 oil changes in first 3000 miles OCI. Changed oil and filter at 200 miles, then oil at 2000 miles, then at 3000 miles. I used XD3 5-30 HDEO conventionl on first 3000 miles, ever since 3000 miles used nothing but XD3 0-30 group IV POA syn year round, start in -40F with no problem.

I have driven Nissan/Datsun now for 30 years successfully, Nissan engines seem to like heavier oil in my experience. Nissans have the steel chain that is rated to last 200+ miles, heavier oils I believe coat and protect that chain better but I do use a heavy syn oil for -50C flow.

I am told Nissan engines have a counter balance in them that really works the oil too, thus less extension on OCI. I change at 3000 miles or every 4 months, we have extreme temp changes here which allows lots of condensation etc., it can be +40F with a chinook and two days later drop to -40F with an Artic cold front.

Good luck with you new Nissan,

Cyprs

I have an '08 Altima 2.5SL that I have been doing 10K OCI on with no noticable oil consumption. I am using PP 5W-30 or M1 5W-30 depending on which is cheaper, and either an ST or Purolator filter.

I have not done any oil tests, but I am comfortable that there are no issues with doing the 10K OCI.

I drive about 95% highway miles and now have about 60K on the car. If you do a lot of city driving I would probably reduce the OCI down to 5-7K. (Since you are still under warranty...you should probably stick to the mfg recommended OCI in case you do end up having an issue)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back