Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your thoughts on this oil in an older engine? Is it as good as Valvoline Maxlife Full Syn that seems to be liked on here?

I cant speak to if it is better than valvoline, but i can say it is a really good oil. It is about 20% thicker than their reg M1 10w30 and has an has zddp of 1000ppm vs 800ppm. On the flip side, it is quite a bit thicker as the temp starts to fall down past 30F or so. It is very similar to a HDEO 10w30. I believe it is also rated ACEA A3/B3 where regular line is not. i would have no problem running it in an older vehicle or a newer one that was ran in HD applications.

I just dumped that stuff from my Saturn. Has good cleaning powers and the engine made no unusual noises or had any issues when running it. Based solely on BITOG data I'd say it is a good oil in any car that it applies to (If the grade is useable by your engine)

I did two OCs in a Merc GM 4.6 and it, M1 10-30HM, performed very well even in winter temps. I did one UOA with 10,000 miles and all was well.

Is it quite a bit thicker under 30 degrees F? I know its a 10w but its pour point seems pretty low. I like the extra zddp,detergent, and that its thicker at operating temperature. I had been running GC 0w30 in my 97 LT1 the last 2 oil changes. The only difference I can tell is a little higher startup oil pressure(which I expected) and no more ticking at startup.

Ive been using m1 10w30 for 100,000 miles on a one ton dodge van 318 v8 , it weighs 5600 lbs, and i usually carry another 2000 to 3000 lbs a week in it carrying freight. It does not burn oil, never changes levels on the stick between oc, i run it 10,000 miles between ocs. I now have 200,000 on the engine and still no problems, i only get 14.85 mpg because of the wgt and one ton vans aren't good on mileage anyway. I don't add any additives to the oil or to the transmission. I do add stabil to the gas to clean out the fuel lines and carb due to the corrosion caused by ethanol gas, thats it. oh, by... the way this is a 2002 model, throttle body,,ancient technology,,but it works

Last edited:
I can't wait to run it in the yaris this spring! Maybe I should stock up now B4 the ILSAC ban it for having too much zddp
wink.gif
I still dont understand why the MSDS physical data and the data sheet dont correlate. The datasheet pour point (-54C/-65F) looks better (classic 85% PAO) than the MSDS; I'd like to know if the formula has been altered.

Ive just started using this in my Volvo with 190k miles. Cold startups are pretty good considering its a thick 10w-30. Has also helped with oil consumption too, which was my major concern. I like it!

Im not sure how pour point is related to the viscosity curve, but i have done several experiments with this oil and it is noticeably thicker at freezer temps than regular m1 10w30. I just threw out 30F because it seems to me thats where the curve starts to separate a little quicker. Ill look up my old data and post it. Yea i was talking about 100C data that is about 20 percent thicker. I just made a viscosity calculator in excel i would be glad to send you, or plot the curves on widman vicosity grapher.

at 15F
M1 10w30 =1332cSt
M1HM 10w30 =1855cSt

@ -4F
M1 10w30 =3422cSt
M1HM 10w30 =4890cSt

Last edited:
It seemed to seep more oil in my vehicle than MaxLife does. I run the HM oil for seepage issues and Mobil 1 just seemed to seep more oil

Originally Posted By: 97autoz28
Is it quite a bit thicker under 30 degrees F? I know its a 10w but its pour point seems pretty low.

That's the question to which I have yet to hear a comprehensive answer. At some temperature, ViscIndex calculations become inaccurate, and the oil's pour point characteristics begin to dominate. How rapidly the oil thickens when further cooled is probably a function of how quickly various 'ingredients' freeze, what % of the oil is composed of those ingredients, and the characteristic size of the crystals/'blobs' of frozen material.

FWLIW, I visited the Grand Canyon around Christmas. My Honda, running 10W30HM, had no problems starting in temps as low as 5F below zero.

Last edited:
I just put this in my 4.0 Cherokee. It sees a lot of low rpm/high load so I was looking for an oil with high HTHS. I wanted to switch to redline, but the cost was too high. I figure I can go with an annual OCI with the M1HM, so it costs about the same as the Havoline I was running for 6 month intervals.

BTW, this is the first synthetic oil I have EVER used in the Cherokee.

I agree with geo, viscosity calculators are only reasonable guesses and are inaccurate at very low temps. For what its worth, i had rotella 15w40 in my chevy 4.3 two years ago when we were ATV ing in the mts and it started up at -5F with little trouble. It was a little sluggish but did start up fine. I let it idle for about 5 mins and then we went for a ride for an hour just to warm up. According to the calculator the viscosity was about 9820 cSt. That is starting to get really thick though and i would not recommend doing that a lot.

Thanks for the info jstutz. You wouldnt happen to know those numbers for German Castrol would you?

Since I live in Indiana(its 30 F out right now) I tried to find 5w30 maxlife full synthetic but had no luck. So this was my next choice.

I just found the data sheet for syntec 0w30 and the 40C viscosity or viscosity index in not listed. Without one of those two numbers, i dont know how to calculate a viscosity vs temp equation.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf

GC is a thick A3 rated oil but with a low gell point - you may be better served with a thinner synthetic 5w-30 like edge or common M1. Just look at the 40deg c vis to give you an indication of cold viscosity. Almost universally, the lower the 40c vis, the better the cold flow at -25C.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I just found the data sheet for syntec 0w30 and the 40C viscosity or viscosity index in not listed. Without one of those two numbers, i dont know how to calculate a viscosity vs temp equation.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf
GC0w30= 12.1cSt at 100degC /66.8 at 40degC datasheet 4/15/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back