Only car I will ever buy in a Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mazda RX-8.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WO2BHuIfI&feature=related

Why? Because I know that the lower redline of the automatic causes engine trouble later in life. Something to do with carbon build up. I know it's impractical, not good gas mileage, and sucky torque. (Though it has 15 more lb/ft than my cavalier does so...) But I've always been fascinated with the rotary engine, and I think the RX-8 looks fantastic. I'll take on in a manual. But I need to learn how to actually drive a manual first..

Edit: Also one of the only foreign cars I would ever buy new, along with BMW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id only buy MT if I could get them in any vehicle... even in a minivan.

Far lower lifecycle costs, and if they were geared right, better MPGs than any ATs.

Manual tranny: the original computer controlled transmission.
banana2.gif

I find MT in trucks to be awesome to drive. It's sad to find them disappearing as my 05 F250 might be the last MT truck made, other than small trucks.

If any manufacturer made a MT half ton truck, I would buy it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Yeah,I could never imagine owning a car with an auto tranny,yuck!

If you had a long bumper-to-bumper commute, you probably would. :)

Autos are boring. Manuals are driver's cars. I have an auto currently and I am looking to go back to a manual. Not only are they more fun, but I find them more reliable and more trustworthy.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Yeah,I could never imagine owning a car with an auto tranny,yuck!

If you had a long bumper-to-bumper commute, you probably would. :)

I have a long drive, shifting often, I still will only buy 5 speed.

If you google Mazda RX-8 engine failures, it will scare you away.

The RX-8's rotary engine has had a lot of failures over the years.

Another complete failure of a car with automatic is the 2002-2005 Subaru WRX/Saab 92x Aero with 2.0L turbo engine. A [censored] 4 speed automatic that shifted before 4000 RPM(full boost) unless it was floored and you would get anemic acceleration followed by a wallop. Not practical for everyday driving. It got better in 2006 installation of a 2.5L with more torque at lower RPM but by then few were sold. Finally 2009/2010 they gave up on automatic WRX's.

Older turbo cars are miserable with automatics.

Last edited:
If you take care of them automatics will last as long as/ longer than manuals. (No clutches to wear replace). With the exception of the previously mentioned RX8, I will take automatic.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

I used to be a die-hard manual trans fan, and my car is still a manual, but the older I get, the more I can see myself using an auto in certain situations. I generally enjoy driving, but being stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic for 2 hours every day can take all the enjoyment out of driving. It also puts an additional strain on your leg, which again, is not getting any younger. I'm contemplating getting a beater car with auto trans for commuting and having another manual car for the weekends only.

Plus, the latest DSG transmissions aren't that bad from what I hear... but I do like to do some rowing while driving...

+1

All my previous cars were 5 speeds, until I moved to a new city for work where there is daily slow commute through hilly areas. Many of the hills are steep, and no way I can "idle" through on 1st gear. Having to rev and slip the clutch to get started and stop again every 5-10 feet can get tiring very quickly.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I don't like looking at a clock waiting for the power to come on, thanks.

Not a fan of downshifting?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: SLCraig

I used to be a die-hard manual trans fan, and my car is still a manual, but the older I get, the more I can see myself using an auto in certain situations. I generally enjoy driving, but being stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic for 2 hours every day can take all the enjoyment out of driving.

2 hours a day in bumper to bumper traffic?

I would move or get another job before I gave up my MT.
19.gif

I was 'almost' ready for an auto for my DD after driving almost all manual for the last 20+ yrs. my VUE was getting kind of notchy and tiring. BUT, my Mazda5 has a great shifting 5 speed, nice close ratio, short clutch throw, I don't mind it in the occasional traffic I find myself in (29 hwy miles one way, hardly EVER any traffic).
I love my Mazda5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back