The Oilyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know how it works but I just saw an ad for it on tv last night. It was the first time I had heard about it.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
19.00 for it.

Yep, that's the price I saw when I looked at the website earlier today.

Blackstone in the palm of your hand. Almost. Too bad it didn't have a digital display for TBN reading. I bet thats what it works off of. Not wear metals.

There isn't a heck of a lot of info on their website.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was nothing inside the little black box but a bunch of lights.

I'll just stick with Toyota's 5k OCIs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
I wouldn't be surprised if there was nothing inside the little black box but a bunch of lights.

Well, there's gotta be something inside that determines which LED to light up.

Current crop of BMW engines measures the oil's dielectric properties to determine oil life. This is probably some simplified version of it.

For $20, I'm tempted to try it, just to compare it with traditional UOA results (TBN/TAN).

To me it looks like a type of simple photoelectric cell that the oil is placed on. The darker the oil, the more towards red it reads, and vice versa.

Don't think I'll be rushing out to buy one, and usually when ASOTV's move to the stores they cost about half.

If you're looking for a reusable inexpensive TBN sensor, I don't think this is it.

Makes me think of Billy Mayes, RIP.

I can just see the day the car is towed into the dealer with a blown engine, and the customer whips out that "Oilyzer" when asked about the 15K mile oil changes. Lots of laughs that day.

Quote:

Technology

The revolutionary Oilyzer uses Capacitive Resistance Technology (CRT) to measure oil quality. Metal particles, water, oxidation by-products, acids and other impurities build-up in oil at different levels depending on driving, weather, and engine conditions. This is the same technology used to monitor oil quality in many professional fleet vehicles.

Hmm....

For $20 it seems like something that might be cool to check out. Plus you get the free tire pressure gauge
wink.gif
Just need someone to take it apart and see what it's doing. I don't know if I would base my 12k oil change interval off it.

this is from the instruction sheet sounds like a TAN tester.

Understanding Contamination effects
The Oilyzer primarily reacts to the normal
increase in the acidity of oil, as it degrades
over time due to temperature, pressure,
and moisture. As the oil acidies, it will
begin to attack and pit metal engine parts.
A red LED reading typically indicates the
level of acids in the oil has reached a
maximum acceptable level, and the oil
should be changed. However, other
contaminants, such as dirt, soot, water,
anti-freeze and metal particles will also
influence the reading. Frequently testing
your oil (monthly) with the Oilyzer can
give you an advance warning of engine
problems, before they result in an expensive
engine failure. A sudden or unexpectedly
rapid drop in oil quality, or rapid ashing of
the red LED may indicate the presence of
one or more of the following contaminants:
• Water and anti-freeze may indicate
a bad seal or gasket.
• Metal particles may indicate rapid
wear of bearings, pistons, rings, etc.
• Excessive carbon or soot may indicate
poor compression or excessive blow-by.
• Fuel in the oil can give an articially
positive oil quality reading. If oil quality
does not drop as expected over time,
check for fuel leaks.

Seems like a fun little gadget for oil guys - maybe a helpful indicator, other than: "...the oil looks dirty!" or "I just went 3200 miles on my oil - the engine is gonna blow if I dont change it!" Trust it with my engines life on a 20,000 mile oci - no.

Originally Posted By: pair of Blazers
this is from the instruction sheet sounds like a TAN tester.

I believe you are correct. When oil ages, the capacitance increases and the impedance decreases (read it in an abstract in google somewhere). The result apparantly show good proportionality with time so it seems the science is sound. Now whether or not this particular gadget is senstive enough who knows. If I saw one in Autozone for $20 I would buy it just as a neat gadget. One drawback I saw was that you cannot use it under 35F. It also states that fuel dilution skews the results.

Last edited:
Might be worth something, who among us knows actually. For those that discount it because its only $20 bucks, remember all those diabetics out there trusting their lives to a $5 meter or even the "FREE" one.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Well, there's gotta be something inside that determines which LED to light up.

Current crop of BMW engines measures the oil's dielectric properties to determine oil life. This is probably some simplified version of it.

For $20, I'm tempted to try it, just to compare it with traditional UOA results (TBN/TAN).
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back