Computerized vs mechanical wheel alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider a owner-operated wheel alignment shop that uses mechanical gauges and strings to do alignments vs a chain that uses a computerized laser alignment machine. Which would you prefer?

Some people don't even know that alignments can be done without a computerized machine.

My feeling is that if I wanted the alignment simply measured, the computerized machine operated by employees of unknown experience might give a better report. However if I want the alignment adjusted, I suspect would be better off with that owner-operated small shop that uses gauges and strings.

Opinions?

Some shops do not want to align a vehicle that has been lowered, especially if they offer guarantees or lifetimes. In this case you might want an old school string guy who would treat every vehicle like it's the first one. If its an older car that may have been crashed this would be the way to go as well if the tracking is off. For most all other cars out there a computer would be fine.

A computer gives you very detailed measurements and you can adjust from there giving you another set of numbers as well.

The Alignment machines that use a light beam and 'self calibrate' using mirrors mounted to all 4 wheels will do a better job of measuring alignment as long as the bearings in the mirror head assembly are tight. (If they are worn just slightly they will give innacurate readings)That being said, a more experienced alignment tech will ask questions about your driving conditions/style and set the alignment angles (within allowable specs)to get the best results. If you can find a GOOD alignment tech, I would pick him over the machine.

The best alignments I have ever had where they used mechanical gauges and strings. But the owner had been doing it for 40 years.

There's no way a mechanical wheel alignment can be better than a computerized one.

How would the old school style alignments match the accuracy of a laser-guided system? I have no idea how the mechanical system would for example, set 0.05 deg of toe.

The new Hunter racks, especially when equipped with the powerbay setup, are extremely quick and accurate. If it's a toe only adjustment (like it is for most cars), you could probably have a car aligned in under 10 minutes.

All I know I had two Fords that the computer said was aligned and the still were not right. Seems the "old school" way uses common sense. This way both cars were perfect.

The computer is only as good as how it was programmed. "Old school" sometimes can adjust for real world conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
There's no way a mechanical wheel alignment can be better than a computerized one.

How would the old school style alignments match the accuracy of a laser-guided system? I have no idea how the mechanical system would for example, set 0.05 deg of toe.

The new Hunter racks, especially when equipped with the powerbay setup, are extremely quick and accurate. If it's a toe only adjustment (like it is for most cars), you could probably have a car aligned in under 10 minutes.

Although I agree, I suspect most techs using these machines do not how to operate them properly - especially at chains (Pepboys especially) and there is also the element of the machine being out of calibration especially since the heads that mount on each wheel have a high tendency to be dropped and banged around.

I have had computer alignments that have been precisely WRONG!

How precise do you need anyway? Suspension bushings 'Give' old more than new. Urethane Bushings may give another variable, so can non OEM wheels/tires.

Last edited:
The simple alignment equipment will do surprisingly good wheel alignments. The best alignments I had on my older cars was with one of the bubble devices that clamped on the wheel hub with magnets. You would just turn the wheel left, record a reading, then turn right and record a second reading to calculate caster, and camber is read directly from the gauge. Tires wore smooth and never had to rotate them. If the complicated laser beam/mirror/computer setups aren't calibrated regularly by someone who truly understands what he is doing, they can lead to very poor alignment results.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00

The computer is only as good as how it was programmed. "Old school" sometimes can adjust for real world conditions.

and what are those real world conditions you speak of that old school can adjust for?

I ask this because I am an "alignment tech" as you guys describe in this thread..... I am the sole operator of our shop's alignment machine

I run a Hunter Hawkeye winalign setup..........

I can do a 4 wheel toe alignment in 15 minutes if all goes well... and that is being as precise and spot on as you can get..... is it nessecary to be so OCD as me on making angles and measurements as precise as possible? NO.... but I feel a lot better about the job I do.....

do you NEED a computerized alignment? NO

are there benefits of a computerized alignment? YES

Last edited:

Set the toe within 0.05 degree, take the car off the rack, drive it around the block and it won't read the same within 0.05 degrees. That's what you call measuring something to 3 insignificant figures.
grin2.gif

That's a case of it's the craftsman that counts, not the tools.

Originally Posted By: XS650

Set the toe within 0.05 degree, take the car off the rack, drive it around the block and it won't read the same within 0.05 degrees. That's what you call measuring something to 3 insignificant figures.
grin2.gif

That's a case of it's the craftsman that counts, not the tools.

I beg to differ, sure I don't expect it to be within a hundredth.... but I gurantee you I've seen instances just this week where I was within 3 hundredths(maybe I was lucky) of toe measurements after a few mile drive...... at that point doesn't matter what person set what or used what kind of method.... its a mechanical issue if you have some play in the steering setup........

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 38sho
I ask this because I am an "alignment tech" as you guys describe in this thread..... I am the sole operator of our shop's alignment machine

I run a Hunter Hawkeye winalign setup..........

I can do a 4 wheel toe alignment in 15 minutes if all goes well... and that is being as precise and spot on as you can get..... is it nessecary to be so OCD as me on making angles and measurements as precise as possible? NO.... but I feel a lot better about the job I do.....

do you NEED a computerized alignment? NO

are there benefits of a computerized alignment? YES

Does the Hunter machine just measure the alignment, or is the machine guiding the actual manipulation?

Last edited:
Any manipulation is up to the mechanic's knowledge and skill who perform it, but the computerized tool definitely gives advantage on the accuracy and precision compared than manual string/bubble measurement, especially when the front and rear wheel is not paralel (have some thrust angle) which then need to be compensated.

Last edited:
Depends on the year of the vehicle. The older ones fare better with mechanical alignment. I have a 68 Torino and a 67 Mustang. The best alignments have been done on an OLD Bean turntable type alignment machine. My opinion only. John--Las Vegas.

It would come down to how good the person doing the job is with either machine. An alignment whiz would do a better job than someone who had no pride in his quality of work.

My BOSCH mechanic preps some customer's Cup cars doing corner-balancing and a old optical Craftsman (iirc) system...so yeah.

Its a tool. Computerized is possible to be better but you are more likely to get a rush job from an idiot in a major chain.

an independant shop is less likely to spend the $$$$$$$ on a good new machine.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Its a tool. Computerized is possible to be better but you are more likely to get a rush job from an idiot in a major chain.

an independant shop is less likely to spend the $$$$$$$ on a good new machine.

Seriously though, alignments on a mainstream car are NOT difficult at all. For most cars, it is a matter of adjusting the tie rod ends and adjusting a toe or lateral link in the back.

It doesn't require anyone who is highly trained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back