Who makes the Subaru OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a couple of oil filters at the dealer today. I asked the parts man who made them and he didn't know or wouldn't tell me. They look well built with a spiral wound metal center tube. Made in USA is all I know. Good price too at my dealer. $6.50 Canadian which is less than Wix/NAPA. Anyone know who makes 'em?

Last I checked, Purolator (Made in USA) makes OEM oil filters for Subaru of Canada and Honeywell (Made in Canada) makes OEM oil filters for Subaru of America. Pretty funny actually.

Purolator used to make the OEM filters for America too, but they were subcontracting parts out to third party companies who then subcontracted out that work to other companies and, when all the "on the cheapness" dust was settled, we ended up with a low-quality OEM oil filter that leaked. For what it's worth, Purolator aftermarket filters have leaked just as bad on my Subaru. The lower cost flat-cut o-ring does not hold a good seal like the p-cut o-rings that are on the OEM SoA oil filters.

Last edited:

This is my first crack at adding photos so my apologies in advance if it doesn't work or if the file is too big. American filters made in Canada and Canadian filters made in USA. NAFTA at it's finest.

Thanks for the replies. When I do the OC this weekend, monsoon rain permitting, I suppose I should cut open the old one and post some pics of the guts. Cheers.

Well, Subaru is lying about the silicon anti-drainback valve. It's nitrile. I analyzed one by XRF and there is no Si present.

It is an OCD with a higher pressure bypass setting and the P-ring. The media is exactly the same as their bottom line orange can.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Well, Subaru is lying about the silicon anti-drainback valve. It's nitrile. I analyzed one by XRF and there is no Si present.

It is an OCD with a higher pressure bypass setting and the P-ring. The media is exactly the same as their bottom line orange can.

Ed

What's XRF? Are you referring to the blue Honeywell filter in the US? Either way, they have been doing great for my 3,000-4,000 mile oil change intervals. I tried using Purolator PureOne a few times and they all leaked. The leaking problem with the PureOne lathe-cut ring seems to be more problematic in cold climates. They just don't hold a seal like a rounded p-ring.

Here's a picture of the OEM oil filter I'm using in Colorado:

IMG_1157.JPG

X-Ray Fluorescence. You zap the sample with x-rays and each element, regardless of how it is compounded, re-emits x-rays at a specific wavelength. The amount of emitted energy is directly proportional to the amount of the element present.

Yes, I examined the new, blue, Honeywell that is sold at U.S. dealerships. The comparison was with the FRAM PH9715.

ED

So, is the OEM the only filter with the 23PSI bypass, and is that needed on a '05 non turbo engine. I see there was a 13 page thread about this awhile back but I stopped reading after the cat fighting started.

Originally Posted By: Seguino
So, is the OEM the only filter with the 23PSI bypass, and is that needed on a '05 non turbo engine. I see there was a 13 page thread about this awhile back but I stopped reading after the cat fighting started.

I think for your engine Purolator suggests the PureOne PL14460 or Classic L14460. Both have a relief valve pressure rated 20-25PSI. The only downside to this filter is that there is no ADBV. The OEM does.

If you're not racing your Subaru, want it to last a good long time, do normal OCIs of around every 3,750 miles, and aren't "tricking" out your engine with a bunch of weird enchancements that it was never engineered for then the Subaru OEM oil filter will do you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back