Fluid for GM Magnasteer variable assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oils will be compatible for this early Magnasteer steering system? Does GM have the only spec oil? Its said to be a clear mineral base with antifoamer and other unknown additives. GM part #1050017

It's just regular GM PSF that is specified for the Magnasteer racks. I don't know of any special characteristic of GM PSF.

My understanding of the Magnasteer system is that it's based on electomagnets interacting with permanent magnets, with no fluid involvement at all (unlike the older variable fluid orifice design). Someone chime in if I need correction or clarification.

Some people on here are using high-end ATFs in GM power steering systems, while others argue against doing that. No one has been able to prove anything in that argument.

I have gone the ATF route myself, for the purpose of reducing garage inventory. I have a Magnasteer rack, and it's worked fine so far.

Confusion is there. I will re-do my flush with the O'reilly cheap stuff, get the ATF out and call it good. The system should be well rid of any remnants of the blackend P/S oil that was in there.

I've used the less expensive PSF that claims to meet the GM spec.'s and it has always worked fine with one exception. My wagon on a couple of occasions had inoperative PS on a cold start a couple of times the first year I owned it. I added some Auto RX and 1-2k miles later I flushed it with Redline PSF (which also claims to meet the GM spec.) and it has been flawless since. I'm not really sure it was ever a fluid issue or it was just getting gunked up inside and the AutoRx fixed it? It seemed to be a common problem after reading about in on the Impala SS forum so I decided to give it the best treatment possible. 2+ years later I'm happy.

You do hear of a LOT of people using ATF in GM units with no issues, I've never done it however.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
It's just regular GM PSF that is specified for the Magnasteer racks. I don't know of any special characteristic of GM PSF.

My understanding of the Magnasteer system is that it's based on electomagnets interacting with permanent magnets, with no fluid involvement at all (unlike the older variable fluid orifice design). Someone chime in if I need correction or clarification.

Correct, the Magnasteer only effects how far the load sense torsionbar in the steering gets twisted.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf10434.htm

My 96 Corvette toasted PS fluid pretty fast. Once I got the black stuff out, I kept the fluid looking and smelling nice by using a good synthetic amd a turkey baster to change the reservoir fluid at each engine oil change.

After doing further research I found out I have "Variable Effort" steering RPO code: NV7 steering option and not the NV8 RPO code option "Magnetic Steering assist"(Magnasteer) this option standard on the ETC model, I have the ESC model. This is a good GM RPO look up site... http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Last edited:
Not a big fan of PS fluids when compared to good synthetic ATF's. DexVI,Mobil-1 ATF,Redline,AMsoil all work great. I think I have Walmart brand ATF+4 in the Buick and the Toyota with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back