Accord Windshield Wiper Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter what brand or dollar amount I spend on wipers, they are horrible on my 2005 Accord. I replaced them a month ago with high-dollar Trico's. We just had 18 inches of snow on Friday/Saturday and the wife was driving my car when it started snowing. She stopped at AAP to get new blades because they weren't working well. AAP sold her $40+ of new blades even though the ones on there were basically brand new. She didn't know they were new, just that they weren't working. Really ticked at AAP and my wife admits the new blades didn't do any better. She said they threw the "old" ones away.

I've tried Trico, Bosch, Honda OEM, and RainX. Any suggestions?

not working as in what? chattering? streaks?

You need to be more precise as to what you trying to convey in your message you know...

They only clear part of the windshield and seem to not press to the glass.

snow can be tough. Do you have blue windshield cleaner? are you sure there is alcohol in there? often the fluid gets old, the non-freezing component flashes off, and then you use solution to help clear the windows, which just makes more mess.

The angle of the windshield and spring tension in the arms is also a consideration, but should be OK on an 05 vehicle.

The best Ive used are the old-fashioned design with PIAA silicone blades. They clear well and do a good job.

That said, with heavy slush and ice, nothing is going to work that great - manual cleaning and heat may be the only option.

I have not been sold on the "advanced" wiper designs, and you need to be sure to get the tension and curvature design just right in order to have it work and mate well to a windshield.

are ur wiper holders tightly in place, on my 87 Camry I had a similar issue, but later I figured that the wipers holders were not in place tightly nor at the proper angle....i just changed the whole unit did not cost much...

upon doing that it felt that blade were pressing against the windshield pretty well....but it was a really old beaten car and I am surprised to hear that you are having troubles!

Are you using the frameless wiper blades? Those don't seem to do too well on my Accord. The cheap, framed blades do a better job. The center of the driver side wiper never hits the glass with frameless on mine.

I use Honday OEM on my 05 Accord.
I was in that mess on I-95 on Friday night-every truck and almost every vehicle ggot stuck on that hill in Maryland near the Upper Marlboro exit. Have never seen anything that bad in 40 years of driving-it was snowing so hard, the rear defroster could ot keep the rear window clean-I hope to never be involved in a similar situation again. I was only of the lucky few that found their way out by driving in between the jacknifed semis to the top of the hill
Before I intall new wiper refills, I wash the windshield with 95% ethanol I get from a chemical supply house. If you have Everclear (195 proof grain alcohol) available at your local liquor store, that works well

Steve

Originally Posted By: cwing6
It doesn't matter what brand or dollar amount I spend on wipers, they are horrible on my 2005 Accord. I replaced them a month ago with high-dollar Trico's. We just had 18 inches of snow on Friday/Saturday and the wife was driving my car when it started snowing. She stopped at AAP to get new blades because they weren't working well. AAP sold her $40+ of new blades even though the ones on there were basically brand new. She didn't know they were new, just that they weren't working. Really ticked at AAP and my wife admits the new blades didn't do any better. She said they threw the "old" ones away.

I've tried Trico, Bosch, Honda OEM, and RainX. Any suggestions?

I have the same problem with my 09 Accord. There is a section of the windshield they simply do not wipe on the return stroke. Usually it's affected at higher speed. The OEMs were garbage and streaked alot. The newer RainX Weatherbeaters are decent, but they still miss the same section.

Don't know what to tell you. I've seen some curved blades, but haven't tried them. Figured I'd wait until the RainX blades were worn out.

You could try some sure wipe helper springs. surewipe.com I ordered some but they are in Canadia and the mail is taking a while -- haven't gotten them yet.

Not Sure, but make certain the physical arms still have force in the spring, and try a dedicated winter blade. I have Valeo's with Beam style that I ordered from Tirerack, and they have been on for 12 months and are still working well. I used to run Winter blades, but on my 2000 Accord they would lift at highway speeds.

I use Stoner Glass cleaner, -30 rated De-Icer windshield solution and I clean the blades themselves, by wiping them. Trico's never worked well for me. Cheap Anco's at Walmart worked for 6 months, and then dried out. Unfortunately sometimes, snow just sticks to the wipers, and makes cleaning the windshield difficult as it builds up on the wipers, and starts to freeze.

Most of my success, has been cleaning the path the wipers travel, and using De-Icer to cut through. The typical -20 Blue bottle does not work on the rake of windshield, it just sticks with now to everything!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. They don't even clear rain, much less snow. In general, I have found the cheaper blades perform better than the expensive ones.

Bigmike - yes, agree it is worse at highway speeds. There is a portion of the windshield they just don't appear to touch, about 25% of the drivers side, which increases to about 40% at 60 - 70 mph.

PRND3L - the surewipes look like a good solution. Let me know if they work.

Not sure where you got 3 months. As I said in my original post they've only been on a month but they never worked correctly from the day they were put on.

Originally Posted By: cwing6
PRND3L - the surewipes look like a good solution. Let me know if they work.

They arrived yesterday. Unfortunately they don't fit the rounded profile of the rear wiper I needed one for. They fit the fronts fine and definitely add pressure to the wiper arm. For the price, I say "they can't hurt."

On my 2004 Accord, the OEM wipers worked well in the summer, as did the Anco winter blades in snow. When I first got the car, I tried various aftermarket wipers and never found one that worked quite as well as the OEM wipers. The problem was the driver's side stabilizer bracket. All the aftermarket blades I tried were too wide to fit in the stabilizer bracket properly, so they couldn't flex like they should. The OEM wipers are also cheap to maintain, using the inserts Honda sells.

My Surewipes arrived today. They seem to do a better job, though still don't clear all of the windshield. Probably about 90% of the windshield gets cleared, but for $14 including shipping, this has turned out to be a good economic solution. I think this is certainly a Honda windshield curve issue in relation to the long driver side wiper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back