Oil for '96 Ford F250 w/ 460 EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey gents....I am acquiring a '96 F250 and plan on running Rotella 15w40 in it for the duration. Any other input on this? What is anyone else running in this big gas beast? Thanks.....no more DMax for me.
frown.gif

Well I had a '90 E350 motorhome with the 460 and then a '97 full class A motorhome with the 460. In both cases I ran Maxlife 10w30 all the time. If you are in a hot climate, I guess no harm in the 15w40 but I would be inclined to go 10w30 HDMO if I were you.

EDIT: I also am running 10w30 Maxlife in my '00 Chevy motorhome with 454. In fact, I run 10w30 in everything, year round.

In California, a 15W-40 would work well year-round. It's a good oil.

In a colder climate, I would second what TP said.

great...thanks fellas....that is what I figured...might od an RX cycle? Anyone know about those also? never done one and this engine has 212,000 miles and not one tick as of yet...runs smooth and has plenty of power

Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
hey gents....I am acquiring a '96 F250 and plan on running Rotella 15w40 in it for the duration. Any other input on this? What is anyone else running in this big gas beast? Thanks.....no more DMax for me.
frown.gif

Are you getting rid of your Duramax? Darn, that's a crying shame...Duramax with a six speed manual, I would be all over it. I don't even think I've seen one before, and I usually peek when I'm in parking lots. Tough truck to replace...unless its a burden to you.
21.gif

I'd run 10w30 rotella. I'm sure 10w30 is the spec for the ford 460. I hope you do better than me, I had a new 460EFI ford F350 and my mileage was between 8-9mpg highway empty, city? I don't even want to go there, maybe 4 or 5? Needless to say I didn't do a lot of driving and disposed or this new truck for the 7.3 diesel. On 2 full tanks I would be on 1/4 on both in 150 miles in a mixture of city/highway. Talk about gas guzzler, my gosh.

I am not getting rid of the Dmax for any reason other than I cannot afford it anymore due to last years economy. If I could keep it, I would, believe me. It is A LOT of money a month that I can't pay anymore. Something to the tune of $800.....by myself now and can't do it, so $2000 for a '96 F250 in really good condition. I hate it, but I can always get another truck....back to the bank she goes......

Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
I am not getting rid of the Dmax for any reason other than I cannot afford it anymore due to last years economy. If I could keep it, I would, believe me. It is A LOT of money a month that I can't pay anymore. Something to the tune of $800.....by myself now and can't do it, so $2000 for a '96 F250 in really good condition. I hate it, but I can always get another truck....back to the bank she goes......
I know what that feels like, been there and done that about 12 years ago.

Very sorry to hear about the Dmax leaving, but I certainly understand.

I would think that a great option would be a 10w-30 HDEO if you can find it in your area, Byron.

The 7.5L Ford is a decent engine overall. Banks has a great intake/exhause package that was developed for motorhomes, that really uncorks the power and fuel efficiency.

I would suggest to first conduct a few UOAs to see what kind of OCI would be tolerable. The 460's were not that clean burning, and perhaps a 5k mile OCI might be reasonable.

I have used U-haul trucks with Ford 460 engines, and the oil cap states to use 15w40 oil.

I'm not sure if that was the oil specified by the OE, or if U-Haul just wanted to put 1 oil in both gasoline and diesel engines.

Either way, 15w40 is fine for use in your Ford 460.

I used delo 400 15w40 in my 93 f250 and it was great. My enge was a 351w not a 460. But the oil performed well on 5k ocis. Rotella is great too. I used delo at the time because I could get it for.79 a quart back in 06 at the shop I worked in.

I'll look for the 10w-30 Rotella, but if i can't find it, I'll either use Rotella 15w-40 or Delvac and keep it simple. Unless Dave thinks i should do a triple bypass with UOA every 2k to trend and see how an engine with 212k on it performs! JK Dave...you know a little more sense than that. :)I am not looking forward to the mileage, but this is just a temporary fix to finish school and live cheap with no truck payments. I can always get another truck when I get a little more upright again. It'll pull my RV and get me from A to B for now.

Meant that "you know I have"....it will also be nice to have an automatic again instead of driving manual in Southern California traffic.

I used to have a F250 w/ the 7.5L gasser engine. Very powerful truck but drinks a lot of gas. I guess that's why it had dual tanks. Ran 15W40 in it until I replaced it with a 2005 F250 w/ the 5.4L engine. The weak 5.4 makes me miss the old 7.5L.

Yes, the 7.5L is thirsty; that's what you get from 30 year old technology! Most people don't recall that the 460 cu in (Lima) engine was designed in 1966, for intruduction in the 1968 Lincoln. Since then, it's been a venerable engine. Adding fuel injection has made it very reliable and run cleaner, but it's still 460 cubic inches at heart, and it get's thirsty. There have been a few interations that didn't fare well; the 1978 460 has some screwed up design that didn't work well, and most people stay away from that year. They made the 460 from 1968 to 1997; possilby longer if you include the marine applications.

It was replaced by the 6.8L V-10. Another good engine, but completely different. The Triton V-10 is a screamer; not a lot of torque down low (although better with the 3-valve engine). But the 460 is a big torquer. If you want even more power, I suggest looking into the Banks power package for the 460; it really uncorks the engine.

Dino HDEO 10w-30 would be my first choice. If you can't readily find it, then the 15w-40 will work very well. There are no really tight cleanances in the 460 of that vintage, so the thicker oil should not be detrimental other than (the already poor) fuel mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
30 years? Try 40! (1968)

Strange you caught Dave on a mistake...he doesn't make many. This will probably be that last for a while.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back