how long a commute is TOO long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago I was wondering what was going to happen to the people that bought a big house 50 miles out of town, a 42'' TV, a couple of trucks to drive back and forth to work, and maxed out their credit cards buying everything else. We still haven't recovered from the $3/gal crunch.

I think it is a poor time to adopt a lifestyle whose time is coming to an end. Smaller cars, hybrids, electric cars, etc. aren't the answer. America must find a way to drive less.

I used to do 110 miles round trip. If it wasn't because of the $4 toll daily and the traffic (30 mins each way bumper to bumper), I wouldn't mind.

The remaining 30 mins each way was 90-100 mph and it was a blast to drive that fast, at least when you were in the early 20s.

I got a 43 mile commute one way. I'm pretty fortunate. All interstate (toll road) and can cruise at 80 legally. Takes about 32 minutes from my front door to my office door. Get XM radio, you'll love it.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I always thought of my driving time to and from work as so much of my life wasted away, just as my time at work. Only reason I ever worked was so I could play and the more time I had for that the better.

I do like to drive, but the same old drive day in and day out never was much fun at least to me.

That's just it--I love driving but not the same thing day after day after year. I try to keep the commute to a minimum and spend the time driving to something I want to go to.

John

I've never had to commute more than 20 minutes in my life. And for many years it was more like 10-15 minutes. If there was traffic my commute might be 25-30 minutes and I would go crazy. For the life of me I don't know why people choose to waste 1.5+ hrs of their life each day driving. I know some people don't have much of a choice, but there are plenty of people who choose this life. They're nuts.

Some people enjoy driving.
55.gif
I don't see how that's nuts, personally.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
I've never had to commute more than 20 minutes in my life. And for many years it was more like 10-15 minutes. If there was traffic my commute might be 25-30 minutes and I would go crazy. For the life of me I don't know why people choose to waste 1.5+ hrs of their life each day driving. I know some people don't have much of a choice, but there are plenty of people who choose this life. They're nuts.

+1

I tried a 45 mile 60 minute commute for 6 months...I moved closer to work. From Durango Co to Farmington NM. My job is demanding and time consuming without piling on an extra two hours of driving through deer and elk country a day. I love driving and love to take expedition trips into the San Juan mountains in my jeep. But that is much differnt than commuting day in and day out.

I do twenty five miles each way, and I have done so for the past fourteen years.
Mine is not a bad commute, since I typically face light to moderate moving traffic.
The same distance in heavy traffic would be a different story.
I could see going out to forty miles or so, under conditions similar to what I now encounter.
The drive to and from is restful, to me.
It seperates home from work, and work from home.
Also, it rarely takes me much more than thirty five minutes each way, which is not bad at all, to me.

My present job is mostly driving. But I get to take the van home and everything is paid for. The only bad part is that the E 150 is a beast.
Before that I had a 150 mile RT commute. All highway. My old 528e loved it. Prior to that it was a 60 mile RT commute into Boston. A fast trip was an hour. The 528e and books on tape made the commute bearable. For me moving was never an option. My house isnt much, but the seclusion and wild life is pricelss. Plus our families are nearby. I am on career # 3.

I commuted ~65 miles one way when I worked in Idaho. I had to take a bus most of the time and was thrilled when I could finally drive a car (in my 20s). I drove it about four months, don't know if I'd like doing that for years. Now I commute about 15 miles one way of mostly country road driving.

I will add the long commute is just fine if your in a comfortable car or truck...All I ever owned were V8 full size loaded cars so the long commutes and sometimes bumper to bumper traffic was never a problem.

But I would not do the long commute in small car like a Corolla or Civic or anything small like that as that will make the commute miserable big time.

Originally Posted By: labman
A few years ago I was wondering what was going to happen to the people that bought a big house 50 miles out of town, a 42'' TV, a couple of trucks to drive back and forth to work, and maxed out their credit cards buying everything else. We still haven't recovered from the $3/gal crunch.

I think it is a poor time to adopt a lifestyle whose time is coming to an end. Smaller cars, hybrids, electric cars, etc. aren't the answer. America must find a way to drive less.

++1.
I commute 30 miles one way and I don't mind the drive, but I sure do miss the 8 mile RT commute when I was in high school. I think there's a LOT of time and gas that can be saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back