Oil for Lawnmowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this year what are you planning on running? Yesterday I picked up a quart of Castrol Syntec 5W-40. It is SL rated, and has ratings for the german auto brands. Unfortunately tis not GC.

M1 ep 10w-30
My push mower has a small engine and if we do get rain, sometimes the grass is too tall when I mow. 10w-30 uses heavier base oil than 5w-30, and M1 ep retains viscosity better than other multi-grade 30 weight oils.

As you've adequately demonstrated in another topic,
crackmeup2.gif
push mowers aren't fussy creatures. Mine will continue to get the 5w30 synthetic leftovers from the 5-qt. jugs.

The lawn tractor will be running Mobil 3 10w30 (M1 EP), as usual.

Last edited:
Believe me, I think I'm the one that proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that L-Head lawnmower engines (briggs at least) will run forever on anything (or nothing). But I'm still going to take good care of the "daily driver" mower.

I recently started using Rotella syn 5w-40 in my tractor and now, I think that is all I'll ever use. The push mower usually gets whatever is around the garage, which is always synthetic. Last year it was Supertech syn 5w-30, this year it's Rotella 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: af0h
Switching all of my OPE to Rotella T6...

Likewise, my Tecumseh powered lawnmower and snowblower. Rotella T6 synthetic 5W-40. No more straight 30W in the lawnmower. It will start much more easily in colder temps.

Bigtime cocktails in my 12 year old 17.5 HP B&S!

Some motorcycle oil, some 5-30 PCMO, some 4-stroke marine oil, VSOT and a twist of MMO for the ditch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back