Rotella 10w30 dino (T3) below 0F?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening, my neighbor with a VW TDI has been having slow starting and starting noise since its been super cold in CO lately, often at 0 or below in the AM. He’s running 15w40 Rotella and wants to go to the 10w30 for below 0F protection. I suggested the 5w40, but he doesn’t want the extra expense. Not garaged and no block heater or oil pan heater, not interested in any of those adds either. Is the 10w30 sufficient protection at colder temps?

It will be a lot better than the 15W40. I have had the Rotella 10W30 in my wagon the last 2 winters. It is garaged but still ocassionally sees 0 deg. starts and it isn't much of an issue. It might seem slightly sluggish but not bad. Mine is a gas motor of course so I have other options. I do plan to switch to 5W30 PP moving forward and see how it likes that.

I thought it referred to both the weights, but I could be wrong.

WishIhadatruck, thank you for the quick feed back. I do recall your UOAs being pretty good.

He should look in his manual and use the weight VW recommends for his ambient temperature range, extra cost or not...

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
He should look in his manual and use the weight VW recommends for his ambient temperature range, extra cost or not...

I second that idea and would like to point out that there is a very high probability the manual calls for 5W30. And not just any 5W30; a VW approved one in the 50X series. At the minimum an ACEA A3/B4 oil; if the vehicle is post 2006 an ACEA A3/B4/C3 oil. Which will have an HTHS >3.5 despite being a 5W30, unlike "fuel economy" oils designed for American and Japanese cars.
I have little sympathy for people who use the wrong oil type "to save money" and then complain of bad results and expensive repairs.
How about Mobil 1 0W40 for pre 07, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W30 for post 06?

Charlie

FWIW, I switched my "winter" utility tractor to 10W30 R-T (from 15W40) due to cold cranking issues and it turned over noticeably faster.

VW says to use a synthetic oil meeting the VW505/505.01 oil spec. VW says to change the oil every 10,000 miles. Cheapskate or not, using RTS at $23/gallon works out to just .23 cents per mile.
VW has noted that using dino oil will void the warranty, and they will not pay for any repairs. What little he saves could cost him big time in the long run.

I doubt he is under warranty, 2001. VW's are about 4 years/50k miles, yes? Anyway, no sense in beating someone over the head when they ask for thoughts.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
I doubt he is under warranty, 2001. VW's are about 4 years/50k miles, yes? Anyway, no sense in beating someone over the head when they ask for thoughts.

All true. But for that engine he needs an oil with HTHS>3.5; and for the climate he needs a 5Wx or 0Wx; x = 30 or 40. IF x = 30 it must be one of the high performance HTHS>3.5 oils.
That means Group III or IV oil - thin enough when cold for the climate; thick enough at high temps. You have to pay for that.

Charlie

Thats kinda what I said. I certainly wouldnt want a 10w in my car in winter here. I havent asked yet, but when i look at Rotella 10w30 its only 0.76/qrt than RTS. Does seem kinda a weak reason to not spend the money. So I will respond with that, tactfully of course.

Thats kinda what I said. I certainly wouldnt want a 10w in my car in winter here. I havent asked yet, but when i look at Rotella 10w30 its only 0.76/qrt than RTS. Does seem kinda a weak reason to not spend the money. So I will respond with that, tactfully of course.

I can typically find 10W30 Rotella for about $10 to $10.50 USD per gallon ($2.50-2.52/quart). I typically find RTS at more than double that... $21-23 gal ($4.20-5.75/quart). The best price I've seen on RTS recently was just under $20/quart. Where on earth are you finding RTS for under $3.50/quart????

FWIW I've had Rotella 10w30 in my Ford trucks (302 & 351 gassers) through the last three Chicago winters and never had one fail to start and run well.

Actually the Rotella 10w30 around here is 3.99/qrt. The gals of RTS are 19/ea or 4.75/qrt before tax.

Actually the Rotella 10w30 around here is 3.99/qrt. The gals of RTS are 19/ea or 4.75/qrt before tax.

Wow! In which locale (I see several in your sig)? The most I ever see 10W30 R-T around here in box stores is $12.00/gal. I was in a WalMart Superstore yesterday and saw it for $10.50/gal (all the standard Rotellas were the same price). Right now, Delo 400 LE is the bargain and is $0.50 cheaper. Same for Delvac. I also just saw it at Menards for $11.00/gal.

The one I'm having trouble finding is the new T5 semi-syn version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back