Calling On Subaru Owners Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rcy
Originally Posted By: ueberooo

The only thing I would really dislike about buying a new subie is that, I believe (can someone confim?), the engines have now been changed to a interference design, meaning that if the timing belt snaps your engine turns into scrap metal.

Don't know about the newer H4, but the H6 has always been a chain (two in fact).

The newer H4 is probably a belt (the older ones were), but if the belt is changed at the req'd interval, then one shouldn't really need to worry about it breaking.

All the ej25's are ineterference motors. The ej22 was interference starting in '97. That's why I have a '96 ej22 in my old GL.

I'm not a fan of the ej25. I would prefer not to touch the headgaskets for 300k or so miles.

We actually just picked up another one today, a '10 Legacy GT
55.gif
If only they made 3/4 ton trucks! I bought my first one (a Justy) in '89, and except for the truck in my sig, haven't bought anything else since. Now we just need to pare down the fleet and get rid of the '97.

My first car was a '92 Legacy FWD (NON-AWD) 4 speed Automatic. My parents bought it new and it was passed down to me in HS. The car was very solid with no problems other than frequent CV boot changes (OEM would last longer than aftermarket).

The car made it with its EJ22 engine to 142k miles with no major problems before it was totaled in an accident.

For some reason the car didn't like humidity and would hesitate to start after the rain. It also had a check engine light on since it was new as the problem could not be diagnosed and replicated when we would take it into the dealer. It would shut off randomly and then turn on. By the end of its life, the check engine light was constant so we just took the bulb out due to annoyance. The car would also not shift into overdrive until the transmission warmed up for a good 10 miles at a time on the highway in the winter.

Overall, solid car!

Back then I didn't know much about car maintenance other than 3k mile OCI's, transmission fluid drain and refill every 30k miles and coolant change every 60k miles.

The car had original brake fluid and power steering fluid up until its death.

Here it is below in 2004 at the age of 12:
sub.jpg

DSC000181.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
The car would also not shift into overdrive until the transmission warmed up for a good 10 miles at a time on the highway in the winter.

idk if this was the case with yours, but on some cars, like my 97 tbird's PCM, would not LET the electronically controlled auto transmission shift into OD until the ATF reaches a certain operating temperature, to prevent damage.

I didn't know this at 1st, and only found out after some research on that particular transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back