2000 VW Cabrio oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend's mom just gave him her old 2000 VW Cabrio (2.0, Auto) and bought a 2010 Ford Focus SEL. He asked if I would do the maintenence and stuff on his car for him, and of course I said sure, I always look for an excuse to do work. Now I have no idea what oil to use in this thing. Anyone have any clues what this engine takes?

Those 2.0's sometimes have oil-consumption problems. Keep an eye on the level.

I think thse engines are spec'd for A3 oil from the factory, so I'd be inclined to use a 5W-40 for year-round use in NY.

OEM spec is VW 502.00 for that engine, with some API and ACEA oils being permissible too.

Yes, Syntec 5w40, Mobil 1 0w40, Mobil 1 5w40, Rotella T 5w40. Several oils from Amsoil, Redline and Schaeffer. Several from Valvoline.

Pretty much any 5w40 or 0w40, and most synthetic 5w30/0w30/10w40 will fit the bill.

Be careful in helping other people maintain their cars, because if things so south you are the first one to blame

Oh he already knows the car is a POS. They have had trouble with it forever, he says the CEL hasn't been off in years and it sounds like a train wreck. I think I'm gonna have my work cut out for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It can run on anything. If it burns oil, you have to work around that. I'd try a 10w-30 HM dino oil, even in winter, and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back