Shaping plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have suggestions about the best way of shaping plywood, as in putting a reasonably mild but permanent curve in it?

Ive always heard that steaming plywood is a good way to go.

Check on some of the woodworking sites. I dont think you want to totally wet it, just a lot of steam to soften the adhesives.

I'll check with a friend of mine at a local shop, and see if he knows.

You can soften up plywood with just plain water to do a large radius. The moisture allows the wood fibers to bend without cracking and does not loosen the adhesives. For smaller and tighter curves, you have to "kerf" or cut swallow notches into the back side of the plywood.

Bending plywood permanently and where you want to is tricky.
It is best to have a form to attach it to, with the proper shape.

Plywood is tough to bend because it is designed NOT to bend. Regular wood is much easier. You can glue veneers together, and they will hold properly.

You might try getting plywood thinner than what you want. Flex multiple pieces of plywood into the shape you want, and use a strong glue (like gorilla glue) to glue the pieces of plywood together. Also, put more curve in it than you want, because it will probably lose a little of it.

I've got a similar question. I'm building some bookcases and have one 7' x 12" board that appears to have a slight twist in it at the last 2 feet. I don't have a jointer, so is there a way to straighten it or do I need to use it elsewhere? I wouldn't care that much, but it's throwing everything out of square.

If you are trying to bend plywood just get some Bending Plywood. It comes in 4x8 sheets and you can get it in 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch thick. What are doing with the project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back